• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hope You Have Power

YSS

Members
I read that over 422,000 have lost power. Hope you have power and if you don't, hope you get power back soon. Going out to shovel snow. One branch fell down from a tree on my front yard, but all in all came out ok. Very pretty outside.

tree.jpg

YSS

Members
I just found out my next door neighbor to the right of my house and all the others houses going that way on my street, lost power and still didn't have power. Got lucky!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Unfortunately

We lost power at my house in the District, just south of Silver Spring, from 9 pm to 7 am or so. To complicate things, I'm on the road in the NY area, so wasn't really able to take any action. My wife and kids confirmed that the Aquaclear filters restarted when the power came on.

Doubt that 10 hours out was enough to hurt any fish, but I won't know until I get home tonight (am on the Acela now). Heck, maybe it encouraged spawning by some crazy cories or CPDs.

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The power blipped off and on about 6 times through the evening yesterday but only for a few seconds each time. I was getting worried because I wasn't smart enough to bring my generator up from the shed before the snow started. It would have sucked to pull that thing 150 feet up hill in the snow.

fischfan13

Banned
I have read many times from Bob Bock that his power goes out quite often.
My question is why does the power go out so many times for people in the DC area?
Growing up in Northern Jersey I can remember the one time in the early 70's when the East Coast went dark. I lived there until '97 and do not recall ever losing power after that incident.
Living down the Jersey Shore we lose power on a very rare occasion, but no where near the number of times that people in the DC area lose their power.

Any ideas?
Or "facts"?:p

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Combination of overhead power lines, trees, and bad drivers. I would say that I lose power for several hours at least twice a year.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Well

I have read many times from Bob Bock that his power goes out quite often.
My question is why does the power go out so many times for people in the DC area?
Growing up in Northern Jersey I can remember the one time in the early 70's when the East Coast went dark. I lived there until '97 and do not recall ever losing power after that incident.
Living down the Jersey Shore we lose power on a very rare occasion, but no where near the number of times that people in the DC area lose their power.

Any ideas?
Or "facts"?:p
One fact: you're forgetting the Great Northeast Power Outage of 2003. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Blackout_of_2003

But I agree that we lose power too frequently in DC area. I think the trees have something to do with it.

verbal

CCA Members
I think areas where there is a combination of above ground powerlines and trees tend to have the worst power outages.

bertolli

Members
My power has been off for nearly 24 hours now... and my usual 20 minute ride home took over seven hours... my fish look cold :(

mchambers

Former CCA member
My results

My power has been off for nearly 24 hours now... and my usual 20 minute ride home took over seven hours... my fish look cold :(
Hope you get your power back soon.

I'm back now, and this is one more example of how fishkeeping never works out quite you think. I was worried about several species that don't like cool water, all of which turned out fine. Mysteriously, a single guppy died, however. Probably unrelated to the power.

WendyFish

Members
A recent analysis of Pepco's troubles: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...2/04/AR2010120403887.html?sid=ST2010120403965

At our place in Reston we lost power for about 4 hours, which was unusual -- we hardly ever do because most of our lines are buried.

More annoying than that was all the times it flickered. I've been too lazy to replace the broken impleller on one of our Eheim canisters so it won't start on its own; on water changes we just pour some water out and reprime it, no big deal. I paid for my sloth last night each time the lights blinked. :blush:

dSerk

Members
Thinking snow never hurt so much

Haven't had power in Falls Church since about 8p last night. Apt felt like it was in the 50s today. Was afraid to look at the thermometer on the wall. Didn't even have hot water (well duh). Our last estimate was power back by midnight. I have Dominion VA Power. Right now, I'm afraid to go home :(

At one point last night I could go out on my balcony and listen to the branches falls. Crack... splash. I could see greenish-blue electricity arcing in the distance.

bertolli

Members
i got power back at 7 last night. Most of my fish were limply flopping around the ground or swimming upside down. It was pretty grim to watch but with the exception of 9 tiger barbs, everyone made it.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Glad most of your stuff pulled through, Mark.

Our power blinked but remained on. Anyone heard from Kevin? He's usually on the receiving end of the shaft when the Silver Spring/Eastern Mo Co area loses it. Jim and I tried calling him yesterday, but didn't get a hold of him.

On PEPCO, I have a feeling it has to do with folks being overly protective of their trees around here. Funny how the folks that complain about power outages are the same ones who complain every time PEPCO tries to trim their trees back from the lines. :rolleyes:

Also, I think that we get a lot more ice or wet snow down here than nice fluffy, cold weather snow of the Northeast. This hits the trees a lot harder.

emj920

Members
Lost power wed at 8. Tried 400w power inverter on a spare car battery with a heater and hob filter. Battery died early this morning. Still no power. Lost male jag who just breed a female loiseille all the fry and my jack Dempsey. Stupid fu$$ing pepco.

dSerk

Members
Sorry for your losses, man. A coworker who lives in a single-family home said the temps got down to the 30s/40s inside during the outage. I live on the 5th floor of a 6-floor condo and I think the temp only got down to low-mid 60s. So far, no fish deaths.