• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Honduras Spawning A Non-cichlid

longstocking

Members
A few months ago Ken shipped me those gobies from the Rio Bonita.... I've got them on commercial food etc.

Some of the females are looking REALLY plump. Since this fish had never been spawned in a tank.... I'm looking for ideas on how to trigger spawning.

The river they come from is quite high in temp and hardness ( like lake tang from what Rusty said ).

Since I usually deal with africans.... I thought I'd ask Francine or anyone else for some tricks on getting central americans to spawn.

I know of a few tricks...but just looking for anything I might not think of.

maddog10

Members
All you need is a 12-pack and a video camera. At least I think it will also work with fish. :angel2:

longstocking

Members
Well... the 50% cool water changes did nothing to excite them :angry: :angry:

But.... I've been messing with the temp..... first I tried raising it.... nothing :angry: :angry: :angry:

Then I tried lowering it....... first signs of breeding..... male and female were dancing for each other :) I have no idea if they spawned but at least they were dancing !!! I hope I'm getting closer :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

fishfarm

Members
They spawn in late May and June with the onset of the rainy season, so I'd think large water changes with fresh, cool water would do the trick, The fry will need more salt once they hatch as they spend the larval stage out at sea and migrate back up river to spawn. If you spawn these guys you have my admiration as a master fish breeder. Ken

longstocking

Members
Hey Ken,

I also think I'm trying to do the impossible... but it's a challeng so I like it ! I also love the bright blue... the male just shines !!!

They are some of the neatest fish !

One cool little trick they have up their sleeves.... they dig large tunnels under rock work. I mean , a tunnel system... under all the rocks. I went into the fishroom one day any couldn't find a single one of them for 20 min. I looked in every cave ( thought they were dead )... then saw this head pop out of a small little hole under a rock :D

After looking closer I realized there were tons of tunnels under the rocks !

From my understanding these gobies probably have quite a long life span... 15+ years.