• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

holding or just holding out?

spazmattik

Members
I don't know much about africans but is this fish is holding? I have noticed at times the past few days that it appears to have a mouth full of food but it isn't coming to eat with the rest of the fish nor is it really opening and closing its mouth like fish normally do. I first noticed this less than a week ago..
[YT]2x_WUqOmC44[/YT]

neut

Members
Probably holding. Basing it on general behavior, including the manner in which she's avoiding other fish, since I'm seeing what might be a slight but not obvious bulge in her mouth. Also think I see a brief chewing motion, which you can see from time to time when they're holding-- basically they're "tumbling" the eggs/fry from time to time.

chriscoli

Administrator
She might be holding a small brood ( first batch often is). I found that once my Kenyi matured a little bit, the female would start to dull in color and take on a yellow-ish hue when holding. I had read somewhere that it was not uncommon to see them do that...presumably it may be to look more like a subdominant male in hopes of not being harassed as much. When she was young, though, she'd stay bright blue when holding so they don't always change color. It's just nifty when they do.

If I can't see a distinct bulge in their throat from the eggs, I watch for them to tumble the eggs, which makes a really characteristic motion that looks like they are chomping with their mouthed closed (Neut said he might have seen it...I didn't particularly notice).

If you can successfully keep the aggression down, Kenyi are lots of fun. I really enjoyed mine while I had them.

spazmattik

Members
dan - no male kenyi in the tank. no other kenyis in the tank at all :p

christine - thanks for the info :) i have definitely noticed some chewing motions. I am assuming she bred with one of the zebras at this point. looking around other forums I think some one mentioned letting them release the first batch rather than stripping them? I don't plan to do anything with the fry anyway as they would be hybrids... other than provide a snack for my ca/sa ;)

chriscoli

Administrator
You can leave the females in there to spit the fry whenever they are ready....keep an eye on her, though. If she starts to get too skinny, you may want to intervene. Sometimes if they are in a really busy tank, they'll hold longer than they should and won't spit the fry. Also, if they spawn really frequently, they might not have time to fatten up again between batches.

Bill V

Members
I had two fish holding. One was small the other larger. I let the larger one hold for about 18 days then I stripped her (my first time) this Sunday. She had 20 fry in her mouth. I left the small one in the tank to spit, well she never did. Today I stripped as she had gotten really skinny. I have a busy tank too, and she held for a good month. She only had 2 fry. If they get real skinny don’t put them back in the tank with the male right away. He will start chasing them around. Now I have another 2 holding (just spawned with the male this weekend. So I will let them hold for a few weeks and strip those. I have my skinny female in a small tank to let her regain strength and eat unmolested for a few days before she goes back onto the big tank.