• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hey all.

cichlidshane

Members
Hey guys and gals. My name is Shane and my youtube channel is cichlidshane if you want to see pics or videos of my tanks. I just got into the cichlid hobby in October of 2012. I have a 125g tank setup with 99.9% Lake Malawi mbuna cichlids. Somehow when I started a flame tropheus slipped in to my order and since they haven't been a problem I kept them. I have about 40 cichlids in my tank. It has about 3 filters running on it and refregium with some plants and ghost shrimp that my wife likes. I recently had my first Hongi holding and she happened to die overnight before I was going to strip her but her fry were fine. She may have got one stuck or something. I now have my second Hongi holding and hope to avoid the same thing. I have a 10 gallon tank with the 15 hongi fry in it now and they are doing well. I will probably split that tank with a plexi divider and put the holding female in there. May need to paint the divider black so they feel safer. I hope to add two more types of fish and then I will start my other 125g up and give some peacock and maybe haps a try.

My current fish list is:

Goldens X4
Kenyi X2
Johanni X5
Mangano(close to johanni in looks) X2
Flame Tropheus X5
Yellow tail acei X4
Yellow fin mBamba X3
White top afra X3
Red Zebra X4
Yellow Labs X4
Hongi X3 (got 12 fry)
Bumble bee X2

All but 6 or 7 were bought from local fish stores.

So far they are all playing nice. Don't get me wrong there will be a fish chased around every now and then. The Flame Tropheus was the worst to deal with when I had only two of them. It was pretty much non-stop fighting. When I added the other three they fought the pecking order out and were fine the next day. That's when I found out your should have them as a colony of like 12. So far 5 is doing fine.

I am thinking about adding 2-4 of both of these:
pseudotropheus perspicax red top ndumbi
Pseudotropheus polit

I know these guys can mix and make hybrids but I am not about letting those go to the public without them knowing 100% what they are getting. I may put a pure pair in a breeder tank later and sell some fry but for now I am just tying to see what can work together and adds different colors and patterns to my tank. Once the other 125g is up I will put any trouble makers in there or swap them for other fish. Love these fish so far and hope to learn from everyone here.

Shane

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Welcome aboard, Shane. Sounds like an exciting tank.

If you're thinking of separating pairs of mbuna to get them to breed, be careful. Due to their aggression, folks generally keep them (and most other Malawi cichlids) in harems - groups with a ratio of 1 male to 2-4 females (depending on aggression). The are ok in your large tank right now, but if you take out all the other traffic the lone female may get harrassed and killed.

Sounds lie you're definitely on the right track though. :)

Cheers.