• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Herichthys bartoni ?'s

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I don't know anything about CA/SA fish so don't be afraid to point out the obvious ;).

These guys look pretty cool, I saw they max at 7". What's the scoop on these guys... Are they interesting fish to keep? If buying F1 juvies, how many do you suggest to start out with. Is it best to keep them as a pair? Tank Size? Anything at all that you feel would be a help to someone interested in trying these fish.

Thanks in advance :cool:

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Thanks George!!! Amazing article ;)

They've officially made the "gotta get" list. I'll reserve one of my 40Longs for a pair. I'm thinkin lightly planted with a little rockwork here and there, either a pot or a piece of PVC for a breeding cave should work.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think Jeff Rapps has some F1's. Any other sources that you know about?

I'd start with 4-6 little ones, pair establish, and then separate the rest.

If they're like the other Hericthys that I've kept, they'll breed at 2-3"...which is far preferable to breeding them at 6-7" :)

F8LBITE

Members
I think Dr Loiselle talked about these fish a couple months ago. They do look so awesome in the black and white pattern.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

I think Jeff Rapps has some F1's. Any other sources that you know about?

Rapps is where I saw them, I haven't looked anywhere else. I won't be getting them real soon, they're on the list but well below a couple other fish that I've been wanting for a long time. I'm building a fish room in the basement and trying to get a handle on what all I'd like to keep in there which will help when I get to the point that I'm considering how to set my racks up.

I was kinda thinking start w/6 juvies, but since I've never kept any CA/SA fish other than a lone oscar when I first started, I try not to assume... especiallly when I know I've got an experienced bunch a folks like yourselves just waiting to help someone out ;)

Thanks for the replies :D