• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Here we go again - Stealth Heaters

Shinchan

Members
Now the little guys got recalled, I currently have 4 tanks running these sizes :angry:
----------------------------
April 20, 2011
Dear JARED,
We're contacting you with important recall information regarding your Marineland Stealth Pro Heater (25W, 50W, 75W) purchased since October, 2009. United Pet Group (UPG) has determined that a wiring problem can cause the aquarium heaters to overheat or break during normal use, resulting in property damage and posing hazards to consumers.
As a valued customer, your safety and satisfaction is our priority. Please stop using your Marineland Stealth Heater and take the following steps:
Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
Remove the heater from the tank
UPG will provide purchasers of the affected products your choice of a free replacement heater (Visi-Therm Deluxe) or mail you a refund check. Please contact UPG at (800) 338-4896 between 7:30 am - 5:30 pm EST Monday through Friday to begin the process.
If you'd prefer to arrange your return/refund through Foster & Smith Aquatics, or to discuss trying a Fluval M Submersible Heater as an alternate replacement instead, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-443-1160. Our friendly customer service representatives are always happy to help you, 7 am-10 pm, CST, 7 days a week.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please let us help you continue to enjoy your favorite hobby for many years to come!
Sincerely,
Customer Care Team,
Foster and Smith Aquatics
1-800-443-1160
CustomerService@FosterAndSmithAquatics.com

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I just exchanged my heaters at PetSmart last weekend. No questions asked. They didn't even check to see that I picked out the same wattage heaters.

bschuhart

Members
I took 9 back to my LFS even though I didn't have any issues with them. Didn't want to chance having them "blow up" and crack a tank...

I replaced them with Jagers, hope these work out OK. Had to take one back already
because it didn't heat and the light did come on. I have Titanium heaters in my larger tanks, no problems.

mscichlid

Founder
I was in love with the stealths and hadn't had a problem except with one that split open. Never bought any with the light though. Th only reliable heaters I have are the three 300 watt green Ebos. Have had them since 2000 and they still work top notch. I use them primarily to heat the water barrels or a new tank filled from the tap. Otherwise it would take three newer Ebos to heat up a 100 gal.

I have a bunch of the titanium and they work great. I like the fact that the dial is not in the water. Gonna have to invest in more I see.