• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help with my ahli

So I got this fish a while back and was pretty convinced it was a male. Since then his color really hasn't changed much he is over 3 inches closer to 4 and the biggest fish in the tank. I started to question his gender and the more I read up the more I am unsure. Could really use the help of someone with experience on this. Fins are pointed but no whire on the head or dorsal one small egg spot which I assume means nothing some red tips where the white should be. Please help me on this one.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1378505651391.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1378505673280.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1378505687253.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1378505704535.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1378505717234.jpg

Amazed how many people look at a post and don't respond. Maybe I should have used the term looking for someone with opinion rather than "looking for someone with experience". I am not commenting on this post alone. I spend a great deal of time reading about the topics discussed here and was very impressed to see posts with 200+ replys and 500+ views. I am eager to share what little knowledge I have in comparison. Somehow feeling a bit left out. Again not on this thread alone.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sorry you feel that way, Dan. Sometimes it threads seem to spark, sometimes they don't. I can't help with your question, as I am not an experienced Old World keeper. There are plenty on the site, so hopefully one will chime in.

dogofwar

CCA Members
If it was colored up at a very small size, it could have been given hormones. This is a surprisingly common practice for haps, peacocks, etc. because many people don 't want to wait for fish to color up.

Unfortunately, hormoning often leads to weirdly colored fish later on.

It looks like a male to me. Why it's not coloring up more? It's not the dominant fish, it's a little young, who knows. Give it some time or move it to a tank in which it will be the dominant fish.

Matt

Hannibal

Members
What is your current tank stock list? Just because he is the biggest doesn't necessarily mean he is the most dominant.

I am no expert by far but it is possible that your he is a she and that is why it has not colored up? Try venting the fish to see if you can tell that way, you should be able to do it no problem if the fish is pushing 4 inches.

Rubescens
Benga
Milomo
Azureus
Jf otter point
Livingstonii
OB
Ruby chrystal
Rhoasdesii
Borleyii
Spilotonus
The only larger fish is the A. Rubescens
At what size do males fins begin to become pointed? I have bought several fish that had the blue in the jaw area and once added to my tank it faded away. Also is it possible to dtermine sex through behavior. The ahli is is the most aggressive and has a very large appitite also he seems to grow the quickest. Is any behavior prevelent only in males or females? Thanks a lot guys.
Dan

Jefft

Members
I can certainly see blue tint in him in two of your pictures and that, in my experience is not seen in females. My ahili male colored up much smaller than this and was chasing other much larger Haps all over the tank establishing 1/2 of the 75 g as his own breeding territory. He was pushing around my Red Empress and Red Fin Borleyei all over the place. That all said.. every fish is different just as every fishkeeper's set up and parameters are different. Red Fin Borleyei are versatile breeders in my experience they aren't picky as to what breeding grounds or areas they will use so for me they have proven to be a more laid back Hap moving breeding areas from one spawn to another. My ahili was vicious about staying in one spot for breeding and defending it like he was crazed. Is this fish in with all males or are females present? Are female ahili in the tank? How big is the tank? Does he have defendable territory?

No definate defendable territory but he does move gravel in one spot at a time sometimes that spot moves. Most of my fish are smaller, I do believe a female or two may have made there way in there. I think the borleyi may be female possibly some others the rubescens is about the same size and he is colored up well no signs of mating between the two and they should be of mating age. I was convined he was a male but with what I'm reading about hormones makes me second guess. His colors weren't bright when I got him but a big box FS has much smaller ones with more much lighter colors than mine. What's the deal with pointed fins I have several smaller fish with good color for a 1.5 inch fish but rounder fins with white tips on dorsal. The tank is 75 gallons and since its so small I really want all males here's a pic of one of them any guesses would help. Thanks guys

uploadfromtaptalk1378571355760.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1378571380217.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1378571425058.jpg

Sped89

Members
I kept (what I was told) a pair of Hap Ahli, many years ago when I lived in Utah. He had white from his nose to the tip of his tail, with a red dorsal. (just dug out an old photo to verify) No egg spots to be seen. One thing I did notice, his lower jaw protruded out a little further than his upper. Not sure how relevant this is since this was my only one I have kept. He was probably around 5 or so inches and for a while kept in a 72 gallon with a Yellow Jake. I'd say give him time and let him grow.

I have a 60g all male peacock and hap tank which has been running for about a year. I just recently had remove my Electric Blue because he wasnt getting along with some of my peacocks. When I purchased him at 1.5 inches he looked almosed identical to your fish and stayed that way till he was about 3 inches. This is when I started feeding my fish New Life Spectrum pellets. Almosed like magic every fish in my tank started to color up within a few days time. Not sure if it was just a coincidence but maybee worth a try if you are not feeding him NLS already.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Pointed fins aren't always a guarantee of a male, and some fish take longer to develop them than others. In an all male tank, its likely to take longer because they're nipping at each other. I don't think most ahlis show egg spots, so the absence of them may not say much.

The behavior seems like a male, but that's never definite. I've seem female peacocks chase each other and lip lock, unfortunately there's no golden rule without venting them, and it takes experience to know what you're looking at.

Unfortunately, just sounds like you'll need more time before you have a definite answer. If you ever see it holding, you'll know its a female.

Keep an eye on Pat, and update us as you have new information, and we'll try to help.

Thank you all you've been a great help, I did vent the fish and posted pictures, it looked like a female to me however his behavior mimic s that of my males to a T. He, she also displays drastic color change when aggrivated and beats fins like my males is there electric blues with no "iceburg" markings? Mine has none just reiddish dorsal tips. Keeping cichlids for a while but this individual has me stumped.

Sorry the fish in the pic is not the fish in question, this is the fish also the vent pictures

uploadfromtaptalk1379103736751.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1379103768916.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1379103783593.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1379103797032.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1379103810412.jpg