• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help with a new 125g set up

londonloco

Members
Im picking up a standard 125g (72x19x23) this weekend with trickle filter, glass canopy and 2x36 CF light fixture. Tank back will be painted black, white PFS for substrate, grey round boulders and rocks, few plants like Hydro Aug planted in substrate, a few anubias and java ferns tied to the rocks.

I have two questions:

1 - I have a much larger sump left over from my 120g reef I was going to use, thinking bigger holds more water is better, it does have a large sponge. I could add bio balls to this sump, but it would not have the trickle affect. Not sure if I should go with the tickle sump or this larger sump? If need be I have a Rena Filstar XP3 to add to the tank.

2 - Tank will be divided into sections by rocks, left side 7 Neolamp Multifasciatus, right side 5 Altolamp "SUMBU DWARF" Comps, both in whales eye shells, middle 5 Altolamp calvus black congo white pearl (whelk shells) with 5 Altolamp compressiceps chaitika orange fin, havent decided on mid swimmers yet, reading up on Caudopuncts, or Paracyprichromis, or Cyprichromis, prob a few BN for algae control to start, looking at maybe later adding Synodontis petricola. Comments on stocking please?

Thanks!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I love new big setups! (Especially African ones) :cool:

For the sump, what size return pump are you considering? I like the trickle effect personally.. think that it does a better/quicker job of fixing nitrite and ammonia, but ultimately don't believe that it matters all that much if you have a lot of flow and sufficient biomedia surface area. After all, many filtration systems do not have a trickle filter and do just fine. Also, you are not all that heavily stocked, so it may not be all that big a concern. Just make sure you have some good oxygenation and circulation in the tank. Does the tank have overflows? If so, then this would be sufficient for oxygenation I think.

In terms of stock, the general consensus is that mixing different types of Altolamps can be tricky. They do not always show the color that they have in nature and can become difficult to tell apart (even as different as black and yellow). Additionally, they won't necessarily stick to their own kind when pairing up. I have three different kinds of Altolamps and will not mix them.

Alternatively, I have seen other folks in this club (who have way more experience than me in keeping Tangs) who mix and match Altolamps. So yeah, it's your choice.

Charlutz

Members
Your call on the filter. Whichever works best. I also like the trickle filter better, but it's personal preference. Can you post pics of the two sumps? It might give us some ideas.

As for the stocking, I'd also stick with one type of alto. The males will harass each other when they get big, could interbreed and while I love altos, don't know that I want more than one group in a tank. As a fill in for the altos, you could do a group of sandsifters (enantiopus, xenotilapia) or a group of featherfins (opthalmotilipia). That would add some action for the tank. I'd definitely go with a group of 20+ cyprichromis no matter what you decide on the lamps/sifters/featherfins. But that's just me and it's your tank. :)

londonloco

Members
I planned on using a mag 9.5, worked great for my 120, never flooded, and with just under 4 feet of head :rolleyes:, flow was still very good. I also have Korelias I could use for extra flow. The tank has two corner overflows. The bigger sump will allow me to put the heaters in the sump, the smaller trickle filter didn't look big enough. The problem is it will be impossible to trade out the sumps if I decide on the bigger sump, which won't fit thru the cabinet doors, but will fit thru the back of the cabinet. Once the sump is in there, it's there until I totally break down the tank, including substrate.

I'll reconsider the Alto's. I'll def keep the white pearls, I could always use the "but hon, I have to have another 75g, the alto's are not getting along" excuse...:p