• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help... Too Many Snails

Kelvin

Members
Morning All,

I need some suggestions on getting rid of or at least controlling the outbreak of snails in my 20gallon tank. I started out with 5 snails passed on in some substrate, now I have over 20.

Thanks
KB

chriscoli

Administrator
Do you know what kind of snails they are? 20 is not so bad.

What other inhabitants are in the tank? That's probably going to determine which course of action you want to take.

You could try assassin snails (snails that eat snails) or some fish that eat snails (yoyo loaches, for example).

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Whenever I have a snail problem I through my fahaka puffer in the tank for a day or 2 and he eats up all the snails. Loaches would also work well.

Harleyrider5

Members
The only way I could get them out was to break down the tank throw outnall the rocks. Scrub everything else down. Reset up the tank.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JasonC

Members
I just crush them as I see them with a pair of tongs.. the tank inhabitants usually fight over the remains. This has really helped things in my tanks.

Kelvin

Members
Snails

Do you know what kind of snails they are? 20 is not so bad.

What other inhabitants are in the tank? That's probably going to determine which course of action you want to take.

You could try assassin snails (snails that eat snails) or some fish that eat snails (yoyo loaches, for example).

No clue what kind of snails. Found about 4 in some substrate from Sam. The other inhabitants are 4 minos, 1 giant dano (2 months old) and about 17pepper catfish (about 1 month old).

mchambers

Former CCA member
If they are shaped like ice cream cones, they are Malaysian trumpet snails. If not, probably regular pond snails. Sam's plants had some pond snails, so that would be my guess.

AquaStudent

Members
Crush them whenever you see them. You can quicken the process by draining the tank and sifting through everything, giving the decorations a good rinsing in hot water, and remove all visible snails by hand. You'll still likely miss some but it's a start.