• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help silly friend with squirrel

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Hey guys a friend found a baby squirrel and is trying to take care of it ( that's great ) but won't take any advice I give...I have raised/ fostered all sorts of wild life hence the name (local zoo) I have formula and instead of taking me up on the help he wants to consult the Internet an gave the baby water with sugar and salt and milk with yogurt. I have the resources and knowledge but he would rather consult the Internet...I have no idea what else to say i have formula... But he doesn't seem interested in it either picking it up or me taking it to him. Just needed to vent thanks guys
This is also a person who I'm waiting to get a 180 gallon tank from (too lazy to go to storage) smh
What is wrong with people today

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
Second Chance wildlife center in Gaithersburg. If you bring it to the meeting I will take it there for you afterwards, or your friend can take it there herself.

There are formulas you can make at home (I've done baby squirrels before) that use egg yolks, milk, sugar, water, etc. Never heard yogurt.

Most young baby squirrels get dumped from the nest for a reason - this reason is that a fly has managed to lay eggs in or around their mouth. The eggs hatch as soon as they get wet and the larvae make their way into the squirrel's stomach. They consume all of the food the squirrel gets and eat the squirrel from the inside out once it runs out of food. The only way to get rid of them is to starve them, effectively starving the squirrel.

Honestly, this little guy probably doesn't stand a chance without real medical attention - Second Chance is the best place to go.

What Becca said. Or the baby will die.

Plus, frankly, I think it's illegal to care for wildlife without appropriate certification.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Second Chance wildlife center in Gaithersburg. If you bring it to the meeting I will take it there for you afterwards, or your friend can take it there herself.

There are formulas you can make at home (I've done baby squirrels before) that use egg yolks, milk, sugar, water, etc. Never heard yogurt.

Most young baby squirrels get dumped from the nest for a reason - this reason is that a fly has managed to lay eggs in or around their mouth. The eggs hatch as soon as they get wet and the larvae make their way into the squirrel's stomach. They consume all of the food the squirrel gets and eat the squirrel from the inside out once it runs out of food. The only way to get rid of them is to starve them, effectively starving the squirrel.

Honestly, this little guy probably doesn't stand a chance without real medical attention - Second Chance is the best place to go.

Yes!! Bring it to the meeting, I want to see a baby squirrel! My friend found one about a month ago and he was really cute.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I used to volunteer there (nothing too consistent just whenever I had time) I know there is talk of them moving. Chris is great she really cares about the animals...I have all sorts of formulas. And yes it is illegal to rehab without the proper license and permits. but local vets won't take wildlife they send people to second chance or to the animal hospital in Rockville. So I thought it would be good to learn to take care of the animals in my yard that need help.
I appreciate the advice but there is only so much I can do to convince a grown adult what to do...all I can do is take some formula over and feed it and try to educate him by force lol not really but you get the picture.

captmicha

Members
I worked under Chris and Polly for many summers. It's illegal to be in possession of wildlife without a permit and illegal to rehab without a state license for it. 2nd Chance may be moving, but you can always take the animals to the humane society and they'll transfer the animal to the closest state licensed rehab.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I can't do much it would be a different story if I was in possession of the squirrel. As I mentioned before I'm aware of the law. on a side note a humane officer by the name of Patrick he was a co worker that mentioned something about 2nd chance moving to Rockville from Gaithersburg if so that would be cool it's a lot closer and easier for us animal lovers to help