• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help -- need good, affordable tile person

I'm told my master, stand-up shower was built with the wrong drywall behind the tile and needs to be completely redone. I just got a quote of $4,500!!!! That is a complete non-starter. Thank goodness I have two other showers to use in the house in the meantime, but would like not to have to use the fish bathroom's shower. Ugh!

Anyone got contacts for a good, affordable tile/handyman type person who could handle the job???

YSS

Members
I have a good contractor that we used to renovate our entire house. It might be a small job for him, but he may still do the job. He did great work for pretty much half the price. Let me know if you want his number. He is from Korea and his English is not that great.

Hawkman2000

Members
One of my best friends in a gen-contractor, unfortunately he doesn't work in MD. I get so angry when I see newer units that have drywall in the showers.

That shower will have to be completely gutted. The drain might have to be redone to seal to the new shower pan. Some of the framing and sub-floor might have to be replaced as well. If the shower is on a partition wall they might have to use 5/8 or 3/4 durock, maybe even dual layer.

Just make sure they use a cement board like durock and not drywall. Don't let them tell you that green board is ok. If they do, they are either ripping you off or are complete morons.

I can't tell you how many jobs we have gotten from previous contractors failing inspection or going bankrupt on the job because they bid to low. Every house I go to we find problems. Some of them could have gotten people killed.

I'll ask my friend if he knows a good gen-con in your area.

Yeah, Chad, I know it will be a big job. But I can't pull of $4500 and I think a general contractor is going to be in that ballpark. I think I'm looking for a really good retired guy who wants a few days of work! Yun -- I'm concerned about the language barrier . . .

Holly

YSS

Members
I think I'm looking for a really good retired guy who wants a few days of work! Yun -- I'm concerned about the language barrier . . .

Holly

My guy is not a retired guy, but does excellent work for a reasonable cost. He understands English but it will be hard for your to understand him. He does have an assitant who speaks very good English. As I said earlier, not sure if he will be interested in a small job, but I can definitely ask him if you send me a detail of what you are looking to get done. I recommend my guy to everyone I know because I know how much pain it is if you get hooked up with wrong people.

Hawkman2000

Members
Hate to be the bearer of bad news Holly, but it is not a small job. If you want a tile shower, it will have to be gutted to the framing.

However, a good second option would be a custom shower insert that would just go over the existing tile.

Good Luck, hope everything works out.