• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Jeff721

Members
Hi Folks,

I am going to be setting up a 90 gallon soon in place of my 55 and I'm trying to decide what sort of fauna I want. Ever since I was a young teen I have been enamored with big central/south american cichlids after having a few oscars, I was waiting until I had a big enough tank to get any more, now I have the tank.

With the new tank I would love to do a sort of wet pet/display. I know that with all three of these species plants are pretty much out of the question, so I will go with well-anchored wood and/or rocks for scaping.

I will probably do a pair of either Green Terrors or Jack Dempsey, but maybe an Oscar or two. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

I was also wondering is it possible to have tank-mates for any of these fish and if so, what?

Thanks.

Aqualoon

Members
I have heard that Oscars are hard to pair up and in a 90 gallon tank that might turn into one being beat on.

I am rather partial to Green Terrors (both Gold Saums and Stalsbergi) so I would do a breeding pair of those in a spare 90g. If you want to raise any fry then its best to keep them alone, otherwise I've had luck with loaches when I had a breeding pair - Clown Loaches I think would compliment the Green Terror color wise very well.

Jeff721

Members
Good call on the Clown Loaches, I hadn't even thought about them, I thought that they needed a bigger tank though?

Aqualoon

Members
They will do fine in a 90g for a long time. They are very slow growers and by the time they reach the size that they are too big for your tank and you need to sell them you'll question whether they are actually fish or pure gold.

Jeff721

Members
Picked up 4 Green Terrors at the CCA auction.
I guess that makes the decision for the big fish eh?

How about tank mates, what's safe?
I like the idea of clown loaches, or cories (don't know if they'd be safe), how about Giant Danios?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Both loaches and giant danios will be good dithers. I'm not sure on the cories. They'll be fine when the gt's are small but could be harassed when they are older.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
I think a pleco will likely be your best catfish tank mate option. You probably can use ancistrus when the GTs are small. A royal pleco is probably a good option for then the GTs are closer to full size.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Didn't Andrew lose a GT when it tried to eat a cory?

Not a GT but the same risk applies. I'd go with either a SA catfish (many are nocturnal fyi), or clown loaches. Try to get the loaches as large as possible.

Sent from my DROIDX