• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

help ick

truck_317

Members
well i have 2 male chanchitos that i put in a tank because the females beat the crap out of them. they started to look better and they got ick. well i cranked up the temp to 84-85 and nave been putting a crap load of salt in the tank. i get the salt from walmart with out the iodine in it. well after a week the ick got worst so yesterday i put some clout in the tank and a small power filter to get more water movement because i only had a sponge filter in the tank. well got home today and now all of the rock have ick all over then and they fish are even worse. so what should i do not

mscichlid

Founder
Here is a post from Richard from 2008:

Ick...

That's right folks, Ick can devastate a tank immediately. I wanted to pass on what I have learned in treating this disease. So here we go...

Recently, I purchased a couple of fish from a Local Breeder, which will not be mentioned. I did the usual thing that a Fish Geek does and so I quarantined the fish for 5 days and even gave them a bath of Formalin to knock off any parasites that they may have been carrying.

Nevertheless, I placed them in my tank full of Peacocks and Haplochromis, thinking that everything should be safe. Within 2 days, Ick had infiltrated the tank and all of my precious fish had become infected.

But wait, I had recently moved a fish from that tank a day or so ago not knowing that it had been infected by the ICK. Also without knowing I vacumed the gravel of the tank and did a water change without noticing the ick in the tank.

I then did a couple of other water changes in some of my Mbuna tanks and Malawi Peacock tanks with the same gravel Vacumn gravel cleaner and somehow infected them as well. **** IT! SHOOT! I had just infected a bunch of my other tanks.

I was so upset, I could not believe this happened to me, only because I brought 2 new fish into my system. This is why you guys have to be careful on how sneaky Ick can be. It is very rare for this disease to hit, but if you're not careful...BAM!!!!!!!!

I immediately took action and attacked the disease with a medicine that I recommend highly;

CUPRAMINE by Seachem.

Thanks to the great Architect in the Heavens I was taught how to use this medicine and use it effectively.

It is the best stuff out there. I had 5 tanks infected and now they are all clean and Ick Free. NOT ONE CASUALTY. Not one...

1.) Remove the filter media in the tank or sponge and put it in a zip lock bag and place it in the refrigerator.

2.) Place regular filter fiber media in it's place.

3.) Raise the temperature of the tank to be between 80-85 degrees plus.

4.) Example, if you have a 40 gallon breeder, drop 40 drops of Cupramine (Buffered Action Copper) and let sit for 2 days.

5.) After 2nd day, do a water change and retreat tank with 40 drops and wait 2 more days.

6.) By the 2nd Treatment, if you still see ick on their bodies do another water change and a 3 treatment, only half a dose. Wait 2 more days.

7.) Now, you're fish should be cured. Do another water change and place the zip locked good bacteria filter media back in and you're set to go. No more Ick and your fish will be happier than ever.

P.S. It is recommended for you to have a Copper Tester and make sure you don't overdose because you could kill your fish.

Anyways, I am quite confident on this method and I am sure there are other alternatives on how to treat this disease.

Good Luck,
RM

There are others who swear by raising the temp, adding salt with 50% water changes everyday for a duration of 21 days. I just can't remember whether I used a tsp or a tbl per gallon. When you replace the water, you have to replace the salt. Don't add other chemicals. Do either or.

YSS

Members
Crank your temp to 86 or higher. When I have ich, I just crank the temp to about 88 and in two weeks, ich no more. I no longer use medicine nor salt to treat ich. Just high temp. Worked for me for years. I have a large bottle of unopened quick cure sitting around.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
The only thing I dont like about teh salt treatment is that when upping the temp for the extended treatment period that can and will stress most fish out just as bad as ick.