• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help I.D.-ing some Africans please

the pale ones with the black stripe in photo 6061 and others are haps. Too little for me to determine gender or even species. They do look like a Red Empress I had once, but they could be anything in the hap family.

You don't say how large your tank is or what you're trying to achieve with your tank. Haps generally need a 55 to 75 4' tank, although these will take a while before you need that. If you're trying to do a colony, you need 1M and multiple F. You don't know what you have now in terms of gender so keep an eye on fighting.

Keeping away from "mixed African" tanks is your best bet. too often people put entirely inappropriate mbuna in too small tanks and they harrass and torment or even kill each other. And then can be a burden on the fishkeeper to rehome.

Also, not knowing what you have means you can't verify the lineage and may have hybrid fish or may end up with hybrid fry, which you shouldn't distribute.

Just my two cents worth!!:)

verbal

CCA Members
The first pic is an mbuna.

I agree with holly about the rest being Haps with a resemblance to Red Empress.

Definitely not something you want to distribute fry from, although any males would be perfectly fine for a male only tank.

They're in a 75 temporarily until I build a stand for my 50(55 footprint just a little shorter) I pretty much just bought them one day because they looked cool and my tank looked bare with just my red devil (again this was before I knew any better) but within the next week or 2 they should be safe and sound in my 50...and my devil can have the 75 to himself...thanks for the replies

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app