• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help breeding Apistogramma Panduro

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I need tips on breeding my Panduro. I have them in a 10 gallon to themselves with fake plants and a sponge filter. The substrate is pool filter sand and their are two cocnut halves iin the tank for caves. One is just big enough for the female to get in with sand she piled up at the entrance the other has an opening that is big. Their is also a couple of pieces of slate. One laying flat and the other is propped up. I haven't soften the water so the ph is about 7.2 to 7.6. I have soome peat to boil or I can just throw a sack in a let sit steep. The female is more than willing. each time the male comes near she puts on a show. He pays her no mind and keeps sifting the sand for food. Last night he finally seemed to show her some interest and started to display with her. Any tips. I got these from Bev. GREAT fish.

mscichlid

Founder
Nice fish. Once they breed I would remove the male as the 10 gallon is gonna be a little small once the fry become free swimming. The female won't tolerate him and there won't be enough room for him to escape her wrath or to form a territory to protect. You could put dithers in a tank breeding apistos, but like I said a 10 is too small.

You could start by trying to soften your water. It is more important to have low conductivity than the ph. You could put peat in a aquarium safe mesh bag either by hanging it in or put it in one of those corner filters. The best peat that is cheap is the canadian peat that has a ph of 4.5. It's a light green bag. Home Depot or Lowe's carries it. You'll have lots of it...

Keep us posted.