• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help..African cichlids looks like they have soot on them like black dust

I recently set up a new 75 gallon african cichlid tank an a few of my africans look drity alomost like soot on them..like black dust..tested my water and every thing is ok..one of my Chinese alage eaters died and i wiped it with a paper towel and i actuly got black off of it..has any one came access this before

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I've seen this before, but don't know exactly what causes it, but I suspect its something bacterial. I've seen healthy fish live with it for extended periods of time, and regular water changes eventually got tid of symptoms. I heard someone refer to it as a "pond disease" but I have no idea what that referred to. Keep up the water changes, add some salt, maybe melafix, and monitor.

i had a friend of mine tell me the same thing but it never hurts to get a second opinion..thank you

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Different take

I was thinking some sort of fungus. In any case, Melaflix is a good bet.

I have no clue what it could be and its driving me crazy..i already did a 25% water change and added salt...its weird my electric yellow lab had it bad the other day then the next morning it was just about all gone