• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello folks.

Norm66

Members
New member here. My name is Norm. I'm from Parkersburg, WV and will be attending my first ACA Convention in DC next month. I'm a mechanical designer and cost estimator by trade. Besides fish I play bass in two rock bands and like video games.

I started with cichlids about 15 years ago with the typical hodge podge Malawi setup. Then I got frustrated by the losses and set up a typical tropical community tank. Six months later, bored out of my skull, I decided to try Tangs. I set up a 29 w/ juli. transcriptus and multies. I've been a Tang guy ever since.

Now I've got a nl. brichardi species tank that's spawning for me, the 29 with multies, transcriptus and a lone alto. calvus. But the good one is on its way...

I'm setting up a 125 (wanted a 180, but it was double the price of the 125) Tang community and plan to stock it at the Convention in July. So far I'm 100% on schedule with the project, the stand is built and the last coat of paint goes on tonight, the technical stuff is all on order and the tank itself will be picked up Friday. That just leaves rockwork (as soon as I figure out what I need for my stocklist), sand and lighting which should all be easily accomplished in time to get the tank cycled and ready for fish July 24th when I get home from DC.

Anyway, that's a little about me. I'm looking forward to the convention like a little kid starts looking forward to Christmas after Halloween. :)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
It will be nice to have an empty tank at home waiting for new fish going to ACA. Welcome to the club and hope you rnjoy the ACA.

Any plans for a potential stocking list?

Norm66

Members
Thanks for the welcome. :)

"Any plans for a potential stocking list?"

Yes but not written in stone by any means yet. I'm thinking Alto. Calvus, Multies, Cyps, paracyps, brevis and maybe some xenos.

I'm only 100% on the calvus and cyps. The rest are negotiable at this point. I already have a multi colony that I'd like to move in, but they're OK where they are right now if I need more floor space in the new tank and want to keep to a smaller shell bed. Of course I'll need to have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting so I can decorate the tank appropriately before the convention.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Welcome aboard.

Yeah, I'd leave the multis in the smaller tank if they're doing fine. For the smallest African cichlid, they can be really aggressive and I can see them taking over a good chunk of floor space.

I don't have a 6' Tang tank, but if I did, I'd definitely work in some sort of featherfin.

Norm66

Members
Thanks for the welcomes. My wife and I are both super stoked about the Convention. I found about it over at riftlakecichlids.com and the more I heard about it the more I knew I would have to attend. It'll be fun to meet people with such an interest in common. I can't wait.

minifoot77

Members
Thanks for the welcomes. My wife and I are both super stoked about the Convention. I found about it over at riftlakecichlids.com and the more I heard about it the more I knew I would have to attend. It'll be fun to meet people with such an interest in common. I can't wait.

one of mikey's friends huh? interesting.... :scared0016: welcome aboard bro :)

TOMMYN3D

Members

The best part is that your wife has interest in the hobby and will be going along with you:)
My better half enjoyes some of the cichlids that i keep but thats about it. Welcome to CCA.

Norm66

Members
one of mikey's friends huh? interesting.... :scared0016: welcome aboard bro :)

LOL, yea. Mike was the one who told me all about it. Reminds me of my first day of college: One of my teachers asked: "Which one of you is Carter's new roommate?" I sheepishly raised my hands and he gave my his condolences for my grades. He was right, but I straightened up and did alright. hehehe

Tommy, my wife is interested but she's not really actively interested if you know what I mean. She likes to look at the tanks and when my brichardi started spawning I was surprised to see her glued to the tank and posting pics and video on Facebook but she doesn't help much with maintenance and stuff. But most importantly she doesn't complain.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
A friend of Mike's is a friend of mine. Looking forward to meeting you at the convention, Norm. :)

TOMMYN3D

Members
LOL, yea. Mike was the one who told me all about it. Reminds me of my first day of college: One of my teachers asked: "Which one of you is Carter's new roommate?" I sheepishly raised my hands and he gave my his condolences for my grades. He was right, but I straightened up and did alright. hehehe

Tommy, my wife is interested but she's not really actively interested if you know what I mean. She likes to look at the tanks and when my brichardi started spawning I was surprised to see her glued to the tank and posting pics and video on Facebook but she doesn't help much with maintenance and stuff. But most importantly she doesn't complain.

I know exactly what you mean lol. Its like when I strip my female's and tell her to take a look and her eyes opens up and says " WOW ALL THOSE BABIES" , Or I come home with new fish that im excited about she will come to take a look as im adding them into the quarantine tank.
Some interest but not fish crazy like us:lol:

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
That was a good one Caleb!!! That's why I love ya Bro ;)

As stoked as I am about the convention, a huge part of it is getting to be around my fishy friends and meeting new fishy friends. Not only will I get to meet Norm for the first time, I'll also finally get to meet Jocelyn (football mom) who has been a friend for a few yrs now and it's all going to take place at OUR ACA!!! It couldn't have been scripted any better.

Really lookin forward to it Norm, it's gonna be AWESOME!!! :party0007: