• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Heater recommendations

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Looking for a new heater for my planted 65. My old Stealth (gasp) finally gave up the ghost. And as much as I'd prefer not to have to use a heater, my unfinished basement is simply too cold not to use one.

I'm well aware of the argument of having a redundant system, but I'm out of plug space, so that's a "no".

That said, what brand do you prefer, and what do you like about it?

Blaise

Andrew

Members
Aqueon heaters had the lowest return rate when I had the store. Fewest failures out of any brand. They beat out Eheim/Jager, surprisingly enough.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I like both the Aqueon Pro and the Cobalt (both the Neotherm and the Accutherm varieties). I picked up a Fluval Series E at an auction that looks very cool, but I haven't used it yet.

neut

Members
Replaced several of my heaters maybe 3 years ago with Fluval M heaters. They've been accurate and trouble free and they're reasonably priced for a well made heater. Know someone with over 100 of them in his shop and he's endorsed them also. I don't know of anyone who's had problems with them and anyone I know who has them has been happy with them. I can't say that even about Ehiem-Jager heaters, I've seen a few people have problems with them.

Two things of note about them. They claim the mirror like silver blends in with your tank by reflecting colors, etc. Wrong, they are quite visible and if you don't want to see them you need to hide them. Also, there's a quirk of their packaging where they're called a submersible heater but the instructions say don't submerge them below a marked water line. Did some research on this and found that Canada required this be added to their label, but they are fully submersible according to what I've read and mine and anyone else's experience that I know.

There are other good heaters out there, but these are very competitively priced for the quality imo.

Last edited: