• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Heater Position????

NYfan78

Members
How do all of you all have your heaters positioned (vertical or Horizontal) and where in the tank????:animal0028:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The few that I use are in the corners and vertical. I know horizontal is more efficient but I don't like the looks of it.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Okay, I just looked. I have one that is horizontal. Its an under sized heater in a 55 gallon tank.
Its just there to take the chill off the bottom row in the fish room. I think thats the only tank in that room with one.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I always kept mine near the filter return ot disperse the warm water better. I'm not sure if it really does other than in my mind.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
ON MY LARGER TANK I LAY MINE DOWN IN MY WET DRY ..BUT IN MY SMALLER TANKS I HANG THEM IN THE CORNER SO ITS EASY TO ADJUST TEMPS IF I NEED TO.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Horizontally a few inches from the bottom on every one of my tanks (except those with sumps). Broken a few heaters in my day by being forgetful and lowering the level below the top of a vertical one during a water change.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
In the sump. For tanks not hooked to a sump, horizontal near the bottom. Makes water changes easier

I concur with Bill absolutely.

In the winter, I typically place the heater right underneath my filter so that the circulation of the water can distribute the heat through out the tank.

In other words, you need to get away from the glass heaters and get the submersible ones.

RM

mrkillie

Members
In the sump. For tanks not hooked to a sump, horizontal near the bottom. Makes water changes easier

From an efficiency point of view, submersibles should be placed horizontally in the sump perpendiculer to the flow of the water, and between the water coming in and the pump going out, and as close to the pump as possible.

If no sump, it should be placed horizontally on the bottom or as close as possible to the bottom of the tank, and as close as possible to the intake from the filter. It is more efficient to pump warmed water than to try to direct water over the heater on the return to the tank.

Cartel

Members
My tanks have black painted backs because I hate seeing cords. Now that I have a sump it will go in there.