• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Heat resistant synodontis?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
So, I've seen this problem occur with members in the past, but not all of us are smart enough to learn from other people's mistakes. My procrastination came back to bite me in this instance.

I have a 30g growout tank with about 20 2"-2.5" juvie haps, peacocks, and mbuna. There were also 6 catfish (4 S. petricola, 1 S. ocellifer, 1 bristlenose pleco).

A few months ago the heater just stopped working, but I didn't take the time to replace it. The tank stayed around 73, so the fish were ok which made it easier for me to put it off.

Well, some time yesterday, the heater kicked back on with no thermostatic control, and the tank just kept heating. I came home to find every fish dead except for the catfish. I don't know the exact temperature because the stick-on thermometer only goes up to 84 or 86, but judging from this and the feel, I'd guess it was in the mid 90s.

The bristlenose pleco died, but all synodontis seemed to be fine. Surprised me being how hot the tank became. I don't know if they can deal with low oxygen levels, or if they just have a high tolerance for heat/temperature swings, but they showed no signs of distress.

Anyone else have any experience with catfish dealing with high temps well? I don't imagine many people keep their tanks much above 80, but I thought people might be interested to know, and maybe I can help someone else prevent this from happening.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have no experience with this but I'm sorry for your loss.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

verbal

CCA Members
Sorry about your loss.

I have noticed that bristlenose plecos tend to be sensitive to high temps, sometimes being the only losses a tank that was somewhat overheated. Bristlenose plecos should actually do ok with lower oxygen levels since they have some ability to absorb atmospheric oxygen.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
No idea petricola could handle the high temp. I keep mine in the low 70s. Wonder if they also can breath air?

Sorry for the loss. There are some expensive answers to preventing this. THe low cost way is to undersize the heaters. Once the temperature is about where you want it, only a small wattage heater is needed to keep it there. If you put a 50 watt heater in a 40 gallon tank, I think it could be on all the time and not get the water to ninety in less than a couple days. It still requires attention to the temperature so you can catch it,but you have a lot more time. I do use usually two heaters in bigger tanks.

Leffler817

CCA Members
No idea petricola could handle the high temp. I keep mine in the low 70s. Wonder if they also can breath air?

That sucks Mike. I once had an Ocellifer that would swim to the surface take a gulp of air and release a bubble as it returned to the bottom. I'm not sure if it was to breathe or if the ocellifer thought there was food???

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I knew Cories could gulp air from the surface, I've seen it in my sterbai, but never noticed it in Synodontis.

Was just amazed they didn't seem to mind.

I can only blame my own laziness though, it was a Marineland Stealth heater, so I should have been proactive in replacement.

The worst part was I could have done without the catfish because I have adults in another tank, but don't have the capital to replace the : Albino Eureka red peacocks, P. electra 'Deep Water' Haps, P. Polit 'Lions Cove', S. Fryeri 'Albino', N. Venustus, and C. Azureus.

I'll either move some other growouts into the tank, or keep an eye out for cool stuff at Aquamania.

808badboy

Members
Synos can actually stay out of water for a long time. I once had an Angelicus some how jump out of the tank one day when I was at work. When I came home I looked in my tank and noticed that I didn't see him in his usual hiding spot . Looked around the tank and then found him on the floor behind the tank.,his skin was all dried up but still breathing. I panicked then picked him up and threw him into the tank. As hours passed his dried skin peeled off and was back to normal in a couple of days. Probably they are able to adapt to drought and severe weather changes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Leffler817

CCA Members
I knew Cories could gulp air from the surface, I've seen it in my sterbai, but never noticed it in Synodontis.

Was just amazed they didn't seem to mind.

I can only blame my own laziness though, it was a Marineland Stealth heater, so I should have been proactive in replacement.

The worst part was I could have done without the catfish because I have adults in another tank, but don't have the capital to replace the : Albino Eureka red peacocks, P. electra 'Deep Water' Haps, P. Polit 'Lions Cove', S. Fryeri 'Albino', N. Venustus, and C. Azure-us.

Those weren't the polits from the last Dave's Fish group buy?!? I was hoping to get fry from ya. :(

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app