• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Having trouble with N. Multifasciatus

Bought 4 a couple of months ago, several died, figured it was a shipping/transit problem. Picked up 22-23 more from Johnny Moore at last week's meeting, and about 6 have died. No signs of trauma or struggling to breathe, etc. they are just dead on the bottom in the morning. Have about 35 shells, although I haven't counted - the bottom of a 10g is 90% covered with shells. Ph is 8.0, temp 78. Took spare sponges out of filter on an operating 20g and inserted into filter for the multi tank.

Any thoughts???:confused:

chriscoli

Administrator
wow. really weird.

Were you able to test your nitrite and ammonia?

What was the source of your shells (any chance for chemical residue)?

Shells came out of the tanks that the fish came out of.

One other thing, the fish don't appear interested in eating anything. I expected some non-interest, until they learn "the routine," but even after a week, things floating through the water (flakes, teeny pellets) just don't interest anybody.

Haven't yet tested nitrite and ammonia, and will, but I don't expect anything unusual, since the fish aren't exhibiting any signs of stress, unless you consider death a sign! UPDATE: Nitrite & ammonia both zero.

I have used a black aquarium sand that I bought in a bag at Petco, and washed and washed it before putting it into the tank and then adding the fish. That's the only thing that is different from anything I've used in any other tank, but it was definitely aquarium sand, not any sort of industrial-use product.

Last edited:

rsretep

Members
I would check ALL shells for a decaying corpse, your nose will tell you if there is indeed any bodies. Have had a few get stuck and pollute tanks in the past, but never to that extreme... good luck

Yeah, I had one in the first batch of 4 fish + shells that I got. There were supposed to be *6* fish. Man, opening that bag was awful! But, I've checked the shells I have, and I guess it's possible that there is a teeny one stuck in a shell that I can't see, so I'll try to look again and stick a qtip or something into the shells to make sure there aren't any small corpses.

I checked all of the shells on Wednesday evening, and did find one with a dead fish. Johnny - it may not have been yours, but from the first batch of multis that I bought, since the 6 I had hoped for was actually 4 when they arrived, and I only found 1 dead one in a shell when I unpacked them. I'm not sure of how or when it happened, really, though, because the one I found Wed evening was not decayed, and its eyes were still clear. However, I have my fingers crossed that whatever problem existed previously is gone now, since it's been over 48 hours and no more dead fish (except the one from Wed). Thanks all for your help.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Is it a 20H or 20L?

The larger the footprint the better. Sometimes, especially in a small tank, the death of a fish or two can have a big impact on water quality...

Matt