• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Half blacks and zebras

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I was just informed these are leopards...true half black are more silver with solid back ends.

Thank you Becca.

So is it possible to change the title
I can't seem to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
That said, this fish is the closest thing to a half black I've seen in many years... maybe some selective breeding would result in half blacks after a few generations.

Shawnc

Members
Real half blacks are hard to find and the genes are not completely understood yet. a true half black has a clear line between the back half being solid black and the front being some other combination of genes. Not all angels that are genetically black express it so the thought is that there is a genetic link at the allele level which activates that pattern.

Because angelfish breeders (im one) called what they see (phenotype) by colorful descriptive names as opposed to the genetics that are carried (genotype), it makes it hard to know what to call an angel.

Zebra is the pattern name for an angel that has extra stripes beyond the normal silver with black stripes. It also makes a cross hatch pattern in the fins and tail. A smokey is an angel with an irregular pattern of black over the back half og the body but without the clear line of a half black. When an angel is carrying a single gene for smokey and a gene for zebra as seen above it is a smokey leopard. If it has two genes for smokey it is called a chocolate as the cark area is so dark it can look like it was dipped in chocolate. If it has 2 genes for smokey and one for zebra it is called leopard... Confused...yep, that is the fun of identifying and naming angels.