• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

H2O testing kits

Beeman

Members
For those out there who take water parameters as seriously as they need to be, what testing equip/kits do you use and trust? Are there any better tests than those,.. 2 drops of this, how ever many of that, count to 3, click your heels, and compare dark light blue to light dark blue? So all shades of blue blur to, well, BLUE!!! In this day and techno ago, isn't there a devise with digital precision, so my eyes won't deceive me?! :wacko:

verbal

CCA Members
There are a number of reasonable options for pH and TDS(total disolved solid) meters. I am not sure if there is anything to measure ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

killakacti

Members
As Verbal says, there are many digital pH, Temp, ORP, DO, Conductivity and TDS meters availible. When it comes to ammonia and nitrates, professional labs basicaly use the same method as hobbyist, the regents are more accurate, expensive and the color is determined by a digital spectrometer, this takes the guess work out of how yellow that yellow is or is that greenish yellow or yellowish green. That being said digital spectrometers are very expensive machines and have to be calibrated with a control regent.

I like to use dip strips for ammonia tehy arent as accurate as the drip and vial tests, but they will show you presents of ammonia by a drastic color change no matter the PPM range, thus throwing a red flag. I dont normally test for nitrates unless i have introduced a new group of fish to a tank, then i will to trend out my maxium alotted time for a water change.

Hope this helps.

Beeman

Members
As Verbal says, there are many digital pH, Temp, ORP, DO, Conductivity and TDS meters availible. When it comes to ammonia and nitrates, professional labs basicaly use the same method as hobbyist, the regents are more accurate, expensive and the color is determined by a digital spectrometer, this takes the guess work out of how yellow that yellow is or is that greenish yellow or yellowish green. That being said digital spectrometers are very expensive machines and have to be calibrated with a control regent.

I like to use dip strips for ammonia tehy arent as accurate as the drip and vial tests, but they will show you presents of ammonia by a drastic color change no matter the PPM range, thus throwing a red flag. I dont normally test for nitrates unless i have introduced a new group of fish to a tank, then i will to trend out my maxium alotted time for a water change.

Hope this helps.

Every little bit helps. Many thanks

dogofwar

CCA Members
I can honestly say that I haven't used a water test kit...since...I don't remember...

Not to derail but do most people test their water? For what? And how regularly?

Matt

killakacti

Members
I can honestly say that I haven't used a water test kit...since...I don't remember...

Not to derail but do most people test their water? For what? And how regularly?

I think all my test kits and strips are all expired, thats how often i check.

verbal

CCA Members
I don't test much. Occasionally when I have losses.

Usually it seems simpler to just change some water than do too much analysis of the water chemistry.

Spine

Members
+1 on what Shawn said. Take it to your local store and have them check it for free.

It seems like all my test kits have expired before I get around to using them,lol. You don't get accurate results from expired tests yet another reason to go to your lfs.

I just do a lot of water changes and not much testing.

BevN

Members
What..we're supposed to test? I never get the memos.

Seriously. It's very rare that I test. I have a TDS meter that I use to check the r/o tank on occasion just to see how effective the membrane still is.

I bought a test kit when we first set up our fishroom and the water treatment system so that I would know just where we were as far as tds and ph. I don't bother with nitrate or ammonia testing. With regular water changes it's not needed.

Like others said. Many of the LFS do testing for free.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I maintain a couple tanks for other people. I always test their water before and after a change... more for their benefit than for mine. Two of the tanks are reef tanks and the calcium level can not be determined by looking at the coral until damage has been done.
As for my own tanks, I change them enough that testing is not usually needed. I have had issues with my co2 in my planted tank and fish gasping. On the rare occasion that this had happened, I tested the Ph, Kh and Nitrite levels since these can impact the fish in terms of how they are respiring.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I was testing nitrates a bit on my bigger tanks - before and after a water changes to determine how frequently I had to get them done.

Like Andrew said, when I was running a reef tank, I got so darn sick of testing water.... think I burnt myself out. Calcuim, pH, nitrate, salinity, strontium....sheesh.

I figure once I get my rainwater setup going for the 150, I'll probably have to be checking pH and TDS more often.