• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Gymnogeophagus - which would you get?

chriscoli

Administrator
I've always wanted to try a Gymnogeophagus species. If I keep the tank on the floor by the door to the outside during the winter, I think I'll be able to get it into the mid-to-low 60's. At least that's what I'm guessing based on the temperature in that part of the room today. Is that low enough?

So, Rapps has some on his website....any of you have experience with them? What are your thoughts?

Gymnogeophagus gymnogenys ‘Arroyo Yerbalito, Uruguay’ race, covered in glowing turq. spangles, red fins, ylw abdomen

Gymnogeophagus labiatus ‘Tres Puentes, Rio Olimar, Uruguay’ race; blue spangled, yellow headed, red sided beauties

Gymnogeophagus tiraparae ‘Paso Rio Borja, Rio Yi, Uruguay’ race; violet blue & yellow w/ blue streaks/spangles on fins

Gymnogeophagus cf. rhabdotus ‘blue neon/Valentines’ of Cantera Ranch in Uruguay origin; iridescent blue striped

the G. meridionalis was on his site this afternoon, but isn't listed there this evening....it was the one I was leaning towards originally.

Cichlid Lips

Members
I have some Gymnogeophagus El Norte on the way as we speak which I have been told are good to go at 78 to 79 degrees that will be with a group of Winemilleri.

I could certainly put you in touch with this guy if you had interest in this strain.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Mark

I'm pretty sure that while any qymno species can tolerate temperatures in the upper 70's (as they would see this condition naturally during summer months), they need a cool down period to prosper. When kept at high temperature year round, they tend to decline over time.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've actually caught almost all of these in the wild (and kept all of them).

The G. gymnogenys, tiriparae and labiatus are all (delayed) mouthbrooders. They're best kept in female-heavy groups. Gymnogenys is probably easiest to spawn of the mouthbrooders. I've had success using a divider with a single female on one side (and the male and other females on the other).

G. cf. rhabdotus is a substrate spawner and best in pairs (get a group of six and let them pair) - they're not particularly dimorphic, especially when small. Easier to spawn than the mouthbrooders and really pretty fish.

You really can't go wrong!

Definitely cool down any Gymnogeo in the winter. I do water changes on mine when the hot water has run out in the rest of my fishroom. Probably 35F water and they love it. Keeping them at tropical conditions permanently will result in them breaking down over time, getting weird hole in the head and just not looking good. I just keep them on the lowest level or floor of my fishroom and don't use a heater.

Check out www.aqvaterra.com (Felipe's site) to see all of the fish in the wild.

You really can't go wrong.

Matt

Cichlid Lips

Members
Well that certainly changes my plans to mix these with the Geophagus that will be here tomorrow.

<---Heads to fish room to get an extra 40 breeder setup with air conditioning.

Not to hijack thread, but now I need a list of possible fish to mix with these guys...

Looks to club for suggestions.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think there are some cories and tetras (maybe Buenos Aires) that can tolerate the cooler temperatures.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A 40B is about right for a group of substrate spawners like Norte. Paleatus cories, Buenos Aires tetras and other fish that will tolerate cool water will mix just fine.

Livebearers like not-too-nippy goodeids can also work.

Matt

I kept Corydoras ehrhardti with mine but Scleromystax barbatus also do well.

I used to put my Gymno's outside in the summertime in large tubs and they do great and color up nicely. And you can put them out in spring and take them out in late fall.

My favorites were Labiatus and Balzani.

Andy

zendog

I've always thought they would be nice to keep with some US natives, like the black banded sunfish (these might be too shy) or maybe even something like a red fin pickerel. There are a bunch of top minows that have some color of fish like darters or Redside Dace. Of course these aren't specific to their home habitat, but I've just thought if I had a cooler tank it would give me an opportunity to try out some of our local fishy friends.

dogofwar

CCA Members
That could work although the sunfish might be too small / peaceful (and don't they also prefer blackwater?)...

We've probably had half a dozen presentations to the club on Gymnogeos and Uruguayan fish. Need another?

Matt

I've always thought they would be nice to keep with some US natives, like the black banded sunfish (these might be too shy) or maybe even something like a red fin pickerel. There are a bunch of top minows that have some color of fish like darters or Redside Dace. Of course these aren't specific to their home habitat, but I've just thought if I had a cooler tank it would give me an opportunity to try out some of our local fishy friends.