• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Gymnogeophagus questions

toddnbecka

Members
I'll be receiving 2 pairs of "Catalan" this week, and am considering some "El Norte" as well. I presume they're named by collection site?

They would be housed in separate tanks, though one or the other would be sharing a 75 growout tank with some Australoheros oblongum juvies that are just old enough to pair off and spawn.

I've been told that the Catalan are pairing fish, while the El Norte are harem spawners. Is this correct? It seems more likely to me that both species would spawn in a similar manner since they're from the same general geographical region.
At what size do they mature and pair off?

Does a spawning pair (or harem) need to be moved into their own tank?

Aside from Australoheros, are there any other fish suitable for tankmates?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Both I believe are rhabdotus-type or pairing substrate spawners. Norte absolutely are.

I keep gymnogeos with oblongum and other milder chanchitos. Bloodfins and gymnogenys-type (delayed mouthbrooder) gymnos, bloodfins and other tetras are good tankmates. I also keep them with milder goodeids.

I wouldn't mix the Catalan and norte. They probably won't cross but it's easy to confuse them especially when small. I breed mine in pairs in 2x2x1 species tanks. - have about a dozen or so norte growing out now!

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Aqvaterra.com is the best place for id of gymnogeos. Felipe takes pics of fish in the field and their habitats.

Matt

toddnbecka

Members
I wasn't thinking of mixing the Gymno's, just wondering about other tankmates. Since they're cooler-water fish I'm not planning on keeping their tanks too warm. Are tetras alright at lower temps too? The 75 growout in the basement was in the mid 60's after the heater died a couple weeks ago. The chanchito's and BN didn't seem to mind, though the BN did spawn after the new heater warmed the tank back up into the low 70's. The eggs disappeared after a couple days, not sure what happened there. I ecpected them to hatch, and the cichlids to pick off the new fry as they left the cave.

dogofwar

CCA Members
bloodfins, buenos aires, black tetras and some others do well in cooler temps... goodeids as well..

Matt

MonteSS

Members
Dog pretty much somed it up.

I have Columbian and Serpae Tetras with my Gymno/Oblongums. My tank was at 68* this winter.

You may consider Balzanii or gymnogenys type if you want them all in one tank.

...Bill