• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Gymnogeophagus n. sp. "Rio Cureim"

dogofwar

CCA Members
The Rio Cureim is the northernmost river in Uruguay, separating Uruguay from Brazil. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever experienced...and is filled with several species of pike, including the lip spot pike or Celidochilus. It also has a couple of Gymnogeos (or naked eatheaters).

I have a wild male and female of the mouthbrooding Gymnogeo from Cureim. It looks a lot like this one (found just inland from Cureim): http://www.aqvaterra.com/cichlids_gymnogeophagus_n_sp_la_pedrera.php

My pair has spawned a couple of times...They're delayed mouthbrooders: the female lays eggs on the bottom of the tank (through a little sand), gaurds them for a day or so...then incubates them in her mouth. She lets the babies out to graze once they hatch. I lost the last batch when I left them with her a little too long (she ate them, I think).

This time, I stripped her. She spit the moment I caught her. She had about 25 babies...much, much smaller than mbuna, hap or peacock babies...which I'm artificially raising.

I've found Gymnogeos to be really slow growers so hopefully they'll be decent size in a couple of months!

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Happy, well-fed fish breed.

They did all the work (the female mostly ;) )...

Hopefully I won't screw something up and kill the fry.

Matt