• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

GRR Spill a gallon of water on the carpet

While doing a water change on Sunday, I tripped over a bucket and dumped probably a gallon of water on the carpet. I sopped it up quickly with towels and used a little hand-held wet vac (used for pet messes) to suck up some remaining water. I came home last night and there is a moldy-type odor in that room. I finally found my small room fan and directed it to the spot (maybe a yard square in size). I also put down some baking soda type carpet stuff to soak up left-over moisture and maybe odor.

This is an impossible carpet to pull up entirely and replace (I'm not moving three fish tanks).

Please tell me it will be alright . . .

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
You'll be fine, Holly.

Do you have a dehumidifier? Let it run in the room, along with the fan and close the door. It should suck up the water no problemo.

Charlutz

Members
I siphoned about 35 gallons of water onto my basement carpet once. Rented a carpet cleaner from Giant and it sucked up most of the water. Threw some baking soda down and fans for a few days and it was fine. No stain, no smell, no mold.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I was hoping you'd chime in Tony, as I know you've had some experience with wet carpets! No, I don't have a dehumidifier.

LOL. Guess I'll take that as a compliment.

We had the best luck by pulling back the carpet and using a shop vac to pull water out of the padding. With the tanks in the room upstairs, you can't do that.

A carpet cleaner may be the ticket like Charlie suggested. Is the carpet discolored at all?

If you want, you can borrow one of my dehumidifers for a few days. I've got my two newer ones running, but can do without the one in the rec room for a bit if you'd like to give it a shot.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Tony,

Maybe you could include a discussion of dealing with a wet carpet during your remarks at next month's meeting!

verbal

CCA Members
Tony,

Maybe you could include a discussion of dealing with a wet carpet during your remarks at next month's meeting!

I think tales of drunkenness, Cubans, fish slapping and hotel rooms would be a lot more interesting addition to Tony's remarks :)

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Call out the guard

A gallon?! A whole gallon?! Mercy sakes alive. Given the flooding to which some here have been subjected (or inflicted upon others living beneath us - no questions please) I have to say I'm shocked by the epic measure of thy calamity. That such a fragile flower and delicate sensitive creature as thee must so endure is almost beyond bearing. :D

Seriously though, have found an electric fan to be the most effective remedy for such, more so than humidifiers. If you're really into it a standard camera tripod and a short line with a fishhook should allow you to slightly lift the carpet above the damp area so that the pad and affected site dries out quicker as well.

Just don't know what we'll do if if something really dire happens like a malfunction with your pop-up toaster, or perish forbid, your bio-wheel.

The carpet itself is not stained. But the fact that there was an odor is what really bothered me. There is no way to lift without significant difficulties. I'll hope that the fan helps. I'll find out tonight.

Tony -- thanks for the offer. Let me hold off until I see if things improve.

And how do I block Sam????:p

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Good question.

A bit leery of napalm, rats and women police, also lima beans, sweet potatoes and beets. Significant aversions to bowling, baseball, illiterates, racists, American 'beer', and proselytites of almost any ilk.

Surround yourself with the above and/or join the Tea (Bag) Party and you should be safe.

fischfan13

Banned
Hmmmm, me thinks I have 2 1/2 out of 11 on Sam's hitlist.
Used to be 1 1/2, but for some weird reason I came to like Sweet Potatoes a few years ago.

Holly, the key is that you would like to get the padding dry. Because you cannot lift up the carpet you are going to encounter a longer drying period and the possibility of a slight smell (something that I deal with during a downpour and an easterly wind :p).
Even with water carpeting can stain.

Hey Sam...Rangers in 5.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Baseball is a thinking-man's sport...I never thought that there would be something that is deemed analytical that you would not tackle.

If you say so - about as stimulating to me from an analytical perspective as watching paint dry. Each to thine own, just too much dead time in the game to keep me engaged as opposed to say roundball, its frenetic pace being much more suited to my internal tempo/temperament. Am sure that's exactly where the allure resides for some, just always been a non-starter for me. Does beat cricket all to h*ll however - always thought they should call their matches 'trials' rather than 'tests', more so as can take three+ days to figure out who wins.

fischfan13

Banned
If you say so - about as stimulating to me from an analytical perspective as watching paint dry. Each to thine own, just too much dead time in the game to keep me engaged as opposed to say roundball, its frenetic pace being much more suited to my internal tempo/temperament. Am sure that's exactly where the allure resides for some, just always been a non-starter for me. Does beat cricket all to h*ll however - always thought they should call their matches 'trials' rather than 'tests', more so as can take three+ days to figure out who wins.

You would think someone as laid-back as yourself would be sucked into baseball...and that someone as NOT laid-back :)rolleyes:) as myself would not.
I guess that's why there is beer served at games.
Sam, have to admit, I have taken many people to baseball games who have never been to a game before...not sure if you have ever been to a game but some of the newer ballparks do have a nice selection of beer. Think about it for next Summer.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
...not sure if you have ever been to a game but some of the newer ballparks do have a nice selection of beer.

Twice, twenty years apart. Suppose it took me that long to forget the excruciating sense of sensory deprivation. I should be ready for another in about 18 years.

Sam might enjoy the Washington International Horse Show as a sporting event. Non-stop action, lots of young women in tight clothes, no lima beans or beets at the concession stands and always the chance that someone will get launched into the rafters unexpectedly and taken away by EMTs!

fischfan13

Banned
Sam might enjoy the Washington International Horse Show as a sporting event. Non-stop action, lots of young women in tight clothes, no lima beans or beets at the concession stands and always the chance that someone will get launched into the rafters unexpectedly and taken away by EMTs!

Geez, I like how Holly says Sam would like it!
Thanks for hijacking our thread, Holly!:p