• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Green severum help!!

jwhorner6

Members
I just recently bought 2 green severums to add to my 110 gallon blood parrot tank. Both are the same size; about 3.5" and were both doing fine for the first several days. About 3 days ago I noticed one of the severums is just laying on the bottom of the aquarium leaning up against a decoration. He looks dead until you approach the tank or feeding time then he will swim around just fine and eat just fine. When he tries to swim around any other time the other green severum will chase him non stop until he returns to his hiding spot where he just lays there. I guess he doesn't get bothered at feeding time because everyone else is worried about eating rather than messing with him. The other severum is the only one that bothers him, the blood parrots don't mess with him at all. My question is...is this normal? Should I remove the bully or the bullied? And is there any chance of this aggression getting better? I'm guessing the fact that he is just laying there like he is dead is due to the stress of being bullied but could there be something else wrong? The fact that when he wants to he can swim around just fine has me stumped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have never kept severums before and never seen this behavior.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would guess that the weaker one is killed before it gets better. You could try removing the bully for a few weeks then trying to reintroduce, but there is a good chance it won't work. Sometimes you just get an aggressive fish. I have to keep my alpha male sev in with big central Americans to keep him from bullying everything.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jwhorner6

Members
Thanks for the help. I ended up removing the one that was being bullied and putting him in my 10g QT tank and he was swimming around happy as can be so you were right, it was def. the aggression causing the issue. I gave him to a friend of mine who has a 125g tank and he is doing good there so far. The remaining sev. is getting along well with my blood parrots...he doesn't bully them even though he is bigger than they are. For having deformed mouths and spines they sure don't take any crap from anyone