• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Gold Severum Setup Questions

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I have two of them (Matt thinks they're both males) that are about 7"-8" long each. I have them in a 29 temporarily, but will have them in a 40 breeder in the next week or so.

I have a feeling that they'll eat anything small I put in there. I have a pair of cutteri. They're too big to get eaten, but will they get beat on (or beat on the severums when they start to breed)? Am I overloading this tank with these four fish? (not from a biological standpoint, but an aggression standpoint?)

I was planning on filtering them with a medium-sized AC (mech) and a large sponge filter (bio). I do 50% weekly water changes on all tanks in my fish room.

The tank will be low light/moderately planted with mostly anubias and some of the larger val in the back (if I can get it to grow under lower light). A couple of pieces of driftwood will be added to keep the water on the soft side and add hiding places.

I'll probably also add an ABN pleco for cleanup. Can I stick cory cats in here as well or am I pushing it?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm used to the "more-the-merrier" Malawi school of thought when it comes to stocking.

EDIT: Oh yeah, gravel of sand?

Last edited:

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
SEVS ARE COOL AND PRETTY PEACEFUL UNTIL THEY BREEB. MINE NIPPED ME ONCE WHEN I WAS DOIN A WC. I RAISED MINE WITH OSCARS AND THEY SPAWNED IN THE TANK. THE CUTTERI SHOULD GET ALONG WITH THEM FINE. THEN AT BREEDING THEY WILL GO BONKERS LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO. I DONT THINK THE CUTTERI WILL BEAT THEM UP TOO BAD THOUGH. IMO.

Tony

SEVS ARE COOL AND PRETTY PEACEFUL UNTIL THEY BREEB. MINE NIPPED ME ONCE WHEN I WAS DOIN A WC. I RAISED MINE WITH OSCARS AND THEY SPAWNED IN THE TANK. THE CUTTERI SHOULD GET ALONG WITH THEM FINE. THEN AT BREEDING THEY WILL GO BONKERS LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO. I DONT THINK THE CUTTERI WILL BEAT THEM UP TOO BAD THOUGH. IMO.

Awesome. Thanks DQ. Sounds like the corys would get pwned by either of the fish if breeding occurs. Probably a bad idea. :)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'd stay away from the cories. If you happen to have both pairs spawning at the same time, the little guys would be in for a world of hurt.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I DONT THINK THE CORIES WILL EVEN BE NOTICED AS THEY POSE NO THREAT. I HAVE CORYS IN W/ MY JAGS AND THEY TOTALLY IGNORE THEM AS DOES THE RTM, GRAMMODES, JDS, OSCAR. THE ONLY FISH THAT TRIED WAS MY FESTAE AND HE NEVER DID IT AGAIN AFTER I HAD TO REMOVE THE CORY FROM HIS LIP. LESSON LEARNED. THEY PRETTY MUCH KEEP TO THEMSELVES AND DONT SEEM TO BOTHER ANYONE.

Cakes

Members
I DONT THINK THE CORIES WILL EVEN BE NOTICED AS THEY POSE NO THREAT. I HAVE CORYS IN W/ MY JAGS AND THEY TOTALLY IGNORE THEM AS DOES THE RTM, GRAMMODES, JDS, OSCAR. THE ONLY FISH THAT TRIED WAS MY FESTAE AND HE NEVER DID IT AGAIN AFTER I HAD TO REMOVE THE CORY FROM HIS LIP. LESSON LEARNED. THEY PRETTY MUCH KEEP TO THEMSELVES AND DONT SEEM TO BOTHER ANYONE.

+1

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd make the empty 110g high that Tony has into a severums and friends tank....but that's just me.

I'm a little more cautious of including cory cats. A small pleco couldn't hurt though...

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I'd make the empty 110g high that Tony has into a severums and friends tank....but that's just me.

I'm a little more cautious of including cory cats. A small pleco couldn't hurt though...

I'm with Matt 100% and don't plan on ANY plants lasting long. Yes, even Anubias. The Val is a non-starter but if you must, at least get some egg-crate plastic and push the Val through it. Bury the egg-crate and at least they won't dig them up too fast. They will eventually eat them though. Severum are omnivores but have a decided herbivore leaning.

Good Luck though. I am a fan of Severum. I have wild caught Peruvians and red shoulders.

George

Tony

I'm with Matt 100% and don't plan on ANY plants lasting long. Yes, even Anubias. The Val is a non-starter but if you must, at least get some egg-crate plastic and push the Val through it. Bury the egg-crate and at least they won't dig them up too fast. They will eventually eat them though. Severum are omnivores but have a decided herbivore leaning.

Good Luck though. I am a fan of Severum. I have wild caught Peruvians and red shoulders.

George

Awesome. Thanks for the advice, George. :)

I may try the egg crate thing, but am certainly not hellbent on using plants. I'll probably just pick up a couple nice pieces of wood for them. I have a ton of anubias, so may stick some in there for color, but if I lose it, well, meh.

Tony

So I guess this is their way of telling me they don't want to move yet.

Matt, good call on both fish being males. ;)

232323232%7Ffp63263%3Enu%3D34%3C7%3E846%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D326%3B38834%3B348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63237%3Enu%3D34%3C7%3E846%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D326%3B388352348nu0mrj

So now what do I do? Just leave them alone and cross my fingers, right?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I WAS FOOLED LIKE THAT TOO MAN THOUGHT I HAD A PAIR BUT I HAD TWO FEMALES THAT KEPT LAYING EGGS. HAD ME REALLY FOOLED TOO. CONGRATS ON THE SPAWN BRO. NICE PICS OF THE EGGS TOO. HOPE YOU GET WIGGLERS IN A FEW DAYS. I THINK ITS NEAT HOW THEY WILL COVER A WALL INSTEAD OF A ROCK WITH EGGS TOO.

Tony

Thanks a bunch, guys. Unfortunately, a bunch of the eggs are missing as of last night. I am not sure if they were eating off some of them of perhaps just the ones that turned white. We'll see if any wigglers actually appear.