• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Glass Media as substrate

Beeman

Members
I went in town to get pfs for my new tank. Lowe's doesn't have it. No surprise. First pool supply store only had brown, and it clumped big time. Next pool place had no sand, but did have something called Glass Media. They wouldn't let me open the bag to 'give it the rub'. So I came home empty handed:angry3: Went on line to the manufacturers web site and they say it is post consumer glass product. Smooth and sterile. Same size as sand essentially. Eco-friendly, dust free, and safe.
My question then; do any of you have experience with this product?

Leffler817

CCA Members
Good point DQ. I think Toddnbecka has used sand blasting grit from Tractor Supply in his tanks successfully. I think its black too!?!

hotwingz

Members
Oh wow thats a good idea! Theres many different kinds and they should all be fine enough to be safe.

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

turfboss

Members
I am wondering if this "glass product" is really just silica sand - if that is the case I have tons of it on pallets cause that's what I use as infill material for my putting greens - and it comes in several different grades - I am about to put it in one of my 15 gal tanks to see how it holds up - problem that I have (in my mind) is that the play sand I see at Loews (or anyplace for that matter) is really fine and it packs in hard - we use it for the base under patios and brick walkways etc cause it is really smooth and holds well for the base leveling - I don't know about how it clumps or not but one of the tanks I have (one that was in the house we are baby sitting till April 1) has a tank with sand from the beach at Ocean City - the sand is great but coming off the beach the PH is (was) up at 8.4 all the time - finally got it stabilized at about 7.6 so it works for the community fish in it at this time - and it would be good for those Cichlids which like a high PH. I will let you know how the silica sand I have works and what the PH is like with that material.

Beeman

Members
To the best of my knowledge, because the web-site was not specific, this is made from glass bottles and such. Web-site wasn't specific, just says post consumer glass. What else is there?! But it does say that it is smooth and safe. Wish they had let me open a bag and look. Am going in town tomorrow to try again. This is holding me up from getting this loooooooong awaited tank set up!!!!

Shane

Members
Are you just looking for a nice sand substrate? Toys R Us has "play sand" available. It is a nice neutral color, pre-washed, and about $6.00 for 50 lbs. I bought some last week and am very happy with it.
I would avoid anything made from glass. These types of substrates are hard on some fishes. Corydoras for example will quickly loose their barbels due to the glass's sharp edges.
-Shane

Beeman

Members
Are you just looking for a nice sand substrate? Toys R Us has "play sand" available. It is a nice neutral color, pre-washed, and about $6.00 for 50 lbs. I bought some last week and am very happy with it.
I would avoid anything made from glass. These types of substrates are hard on some fishes. Corydoras for example will quickly loose their barbels due to the glass's sharp edges.
-Shane

I'm looking for white substrate. I think the contrast with the wood I'll be adding, plants, and natural pebbles I'll scatter and create gravel bars will(I hope) be rather eye-popping. We'll see. Availability, and my patience, will dictate! Thanks Shane