• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

GBR Fry raising question??

Cyianara69

Members
So my pair of GBR did a really good job on their last spawn. The fries are around 3 weeks old now and have basically doubled/tripled in size.

I guess my question is, should I pull the parents out or continue as is, where both parents are in the tank. The mom won't let the dad anywhere near the fry and will chase him off. She hasn't been as aggressive with her chasing him off lately. She is starting to lose control of the brood as more and more fry are swimming off on their own.

When do the parents get bored and just leave them alone??

fishman13

Members
So my pair of GBR did a really good job on their last spawn. The fries are around 3 weeks old now and have basically doubled/tripled in size.

I guess my question is, should I pull the parents out or continue as is, where both parents are in the tank. The mom won't let the dad anywhere near the fry and will chase him off. She hasn't been as aggressive with her chasing him off lately. She is starting to lose control of the brood as more and more fry are swimming off on their own.

When do the parents get bored and just leave them alone??

I think its time for the kids to move out:lol::lol: I bred and raised GBR for a while as well.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've never had good luck with New World cichlids tolerating batches of fry remaining once the parents are ready to spawn again unless there is plenty of room for the 1st generation to get away from the parents. I had some fry grow out on their own in a 180, but spawning pairs in 29's always ate/killed their fry when they spawned the 2nd time.

Cyianara69

Members
Hmm .. feeding time ...

At three weeks old, parents have been getting along for the past couple of days as you can see in the video ... but this morning, DAD was on a rampage as he's does every now and then ....

[YT]E1a3TSEstvg[/YT]

McGrubble

Members
The fry are looking huge! Awesome work on rearing those bad boys. Btw, where did you get the parents? I've decided it's time to get rid of my hybrids and get a true pair.