• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FX5 vs Aquatop

Howie

Members
Obviously, an FX5 is an incredible canister filter. Any thoughts on the Aquatops? It's obviously less expensive, but is it good?

mchambers

Former CCA member
I think the Aquatop is the same as the SunSun or Perfect line sold on eBay. I have a SunSun. It has worked fine for quite a few years, but it is not as well made as a good Eheim or Cobalt. It's a little fragile. I haven't used any of the FX series, so can't compare.

Howie

Members
I have a SunSun UV sterilizer that i got off amazon recently. It's done the job.

YouTube reviews of Aquatops are generally good, but it does appear to be fragile. Definitely no where close in quality to FX5/6s, hence the much lower price point.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've never used an Aquatop, but I'd assume that you may get what you pay for. I'd guess they work well for a period of time and then have issues.

I am running 2 FX5's currently. Both have been running for years with no issues except for cleaning. They move a lot of water and do their job well.

npbarca

Members
I have an Aqautop 400uv. I've hac It for about 3 months, but so far I haven't had any problems.

spazmattik

Members
I use FX6's and love them, but a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of the CFS 500 GPH Canister Filter External Aquarium Freshwater Marine 75 100 g by Odyssea. For 50 bucks it's a steal on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301375231135?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtHdW27H3l4

I hate canisters but that looks like a cool mini fx5 for cheap. Was trying to figure out how many watts it runs on but had trouble finding cause im at work. :p

Mwildgruber

Members
I got one of the CFS 500 of of eBay and I have it on my 150 it us a great filter but the valves on top are very hard to get off for cleaning but for 50$ it can't be perfect but it is definitely worth it. And my dad gas one of the sun sun canisters with the UV light and has never has a problem with it

Tangcollector

Staff member
I have 2 FX6 filters and 1 aquatop 500. I love the FX6's but I tried the Aquatop as a cheaper alternative. You can get the Aquatop off of Pet mountain right now for 109.98. I have only run the Aquatop for 2 months now but I have to tell you that this thing works great so far. It is stone quiet and moves some water and uses a spray bar. As far as it being fragile, I did not find that to be too bad but I read the reviews and they said to use some silicone on the O-rings and you won't have any problems. I would have done that anyway as I do with the FX6 filter. Just remember for the amount that you pay for the FX6 you can get 3 aquatops and move over 1500 GPH. I will let you know if I have any issues but as of right now I would buy another one.

1badmarine

I've never tried the Aquatop, but I'm running 4 FX5's and 1 FX6 on my tanks and they are beast. Have never had any problems and they make practically no noise

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Acpape0

Members
I have owned odyssea cfs 500, sunsun 304b and the fx5.... Only one I don't still have is the fx5 ... I would choose the sunsun over the odyssea and two of either the odyssea or sunsun over one fx5

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app