• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fx5 lid clips/clamps

Anyone try engineering a replacement for the cheap plastic piece that is used on these clamps? I'm talking about the orange piece that tucks under the lid and holds the bolt in place when.tightening the clamp to secure the lid.

I'm looking over one of my recently acquired fx5 filters and nearly every one of them is nearing a fill break.

I was thinking about what could replace this cheap piece. A metal piece would be ideal, but the machining of it is out of my skillset, plus I don't have the equipment. However, a wooden dowell mag work, assuming it's a hard wood. If using something like a pine dowell I assume carving out the underside to embed the hexagon-shaped bolt head would lead to it eventually breaking.

As an alternative all together, has anyone replaced the whole piece with a bolt, washer, and wing nut?

I'm tired of buying these poorly designed clips at $7+ each! I can't believe they don't just sell the bottom plastic piece.

Matt

uploadfromtaptalk1400248985127.jpg

So this is what I came up with.

Basically, one #10 washer and one #10 split washer.

Using a couple pairs of pliers I basically removed the pieces, bent the #10 washer slightly and placed it back on the bolt so the folds face towards the hexagon-shaped end. I then placed the split washer on, then finished assembling the clip. Finally, I further bent the washer so it was more curved.

Sorry if my explanation doesn't make sense, bit hopefully the pics will better demonstrate what I did. I have replaced all the cheap plastic pieces on one fx5 and will run a test tomorrow to make sure it holds tight...I don't see it not working out.

Matt

uploadfromtaptalk1400285616773.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1400285635174.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1400285643747.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1400285651164.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1400285666411.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1400285679037.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1400285697869.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1400285705447.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1400285712671.jpg

Acpape0

Members
The threads on the bolt are supposed to be killed so that you can't take the rubber nut off.... This is the reason I only used split rings. You can leave the nut in place and spread the split ring open enough to wedge around the shaft of bolt then just reclose the split ring... Attempting to force the nut off over messed up threads may not always end well just using a split ring eliminated the possibility of ruining the entire assembly. At $5 + per replacement nut it was not a rush I was willing to take

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app