• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FX5 hoses

Howie

Members
I recently bought an FX5 for my 120 extra high and it appears that the intake hose may be too short. My 120 is 26" deep and according to the Fluval instructions the intake tube should be about 3" from the bottom.

Can all you FX5 experts provide some guidance on the following:

1. What is the recommended distance for intake tube from tank bottom? Outtake distance below tank rim distance?
2. Replacement FX5 hoses are like $38-40. Is there a cheaper way to buy hosing that would work just as well from HD or Lowes? (I've read that the ribs in the FX5 hose trap debris and impedes maximum flow rate. Is this true?)

Look forward to hearing all your opinions. Thanks!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have not had an issue with flow rate due to the ribs on the hose. I couldn't find hosing at hd or Lowes that fit and did not collapse. Check with your lfs and price out the length of Lee's tubing you need. It may be more than buying a new fx5 hose, but I'm not sure.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Howie

Members
Thanks Andrew. The FX5 was yours and you must have had it set up on a smaller tank. Let me know when you're ready for me to buy another one of yours--you took excellent care of the one I bought.

I'll probably just wind up buying replacement fx5 hose off Amazon since LFS doesnt carry them.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I actually moved my intakes up in my tank, probably 6-8" above the bottom so that I did not suck sand into the filters. Out puts are probably 2" below the rim.

Jt731

Members
The fx5 has a 1 inch inner diameter so you can buy hose from Home Depot and use it, but make sure you buy hose clamps especially on the filter end.

Smaller tank but I replaced the ribbed tubing on my 206 no problem

Howie

Members
UPDATE: I actually had enough hose length after all!

Many thanks to Master breeder Reed for his immediate advice!