• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fusion Air Pumps?

Matt

Members
never heard of them, whisper has made a good quality pump forever. Is there a big price difference?

Jumbie

Members
I have never used brand before, in the past I have used whisper and I think they served there purpose well.

Jumbie

Members
You know for price of the cheap coast it wouldnt hurt to try it out. What size tank do you plan on using it on?

rich_one

Members
the 125 discus tank I am using... normally, I'm not one for air pumps. but, I figure with the warmer temps, why not add the extra air. I am still not sure if I am just going to use and air stone, or a sponge filter though... currently, I am only running an FX5, which is sufficient filtration by itself, but am looking to just add air with an air pump, or by a power filter for surface agitation... basically, increasing oxygen levels is the goal here.

-Rich

Jumbie

Members
That sounds like a plan if you want to go with that rout go with the sponge filters. The sponges do two things collecting small particles and provide larger bubbles while the air stones will only provide bubbles. When I had my discus I used a power head because I didn’t want any sponges/air stone to take away from the natural look I was trying to create. I had a tunze all the way in the back up in the left corner point towards the bottom right corner. The power head provides great water circulation which will help oxygenate your tank.

rich_one

Members
That sounds like a plan if you want to go with that rout go with the sponge filters. The sponges do two things collecting small particles and provide larger bubbles while the air stones will only provide bubbles. When I had my discus I used a power head because I didn’t want any sponges/air stone to take away from the natural look I was trying to create. I had a tunze all the way in the back up in the left corner point towards the bottom right corner. The power head provides great water circulation which will help oxygenate your tank.
yeah... I actually did that exact same thing with my previous discus tank... and I do still have the power head... I could do that again. I even think I still have the sponge filter somewhere packed away. I thought about the whole "natural look" think also... but am wondering how "natural' its gonna look anyway, being bare bottom! LOL...

maybe I'll do some digging and see if I can find that power head...

-Rich

Jumbie

Members
LOL oh yeah bear bottom tank lol well eventually there well be some type of algae on the bottom lol. Sitll I would use the power head before anything else, but that’s just me. Either way you can’t go wrong. The last picture I remember seeing you had a large piece of drift wood in the middle, do you plan on adding more.

rich_one

Members
LOL oh yeah bear bottom tank lol well eventually there well be some type of algae on the bottom lol. Sitll I would use the power head before anything else, but that’s just me. Either way you can’t go wrong. The last picture I remember seeing you had a large piece of drift wood in the middle, do you plan on adding more.
I don't think so... I want to make sure they have plenty of swimming room. I may add some weighted plastic plants though... I'm not sure I have enough light for any live plants, and I'm not investing in any lighting any time soon.

I do plan on getting a BN pleco and some of Rachel's nerites to help with the algae though.

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Just a suggestion... You could modify your FX5 output and make a spraybar.
I could... but I kind of like how it is setup now, actually (though, why Fluval would make the output nozzles with a suction cup so it sticks to the glass, as opposed to having the gangster lean it has right now, is beyond me... LOL...).

I may also just add a power filter... never too much filtration!

I'll figure it out though... someone I trust a lot just told me that the Fusion is way better than the Whisper, on another forum.

Now, I am curious about trying it... it's under $20, so it's not like it'll put me in financial straits if I tried it, and hated it... LOL...

-Rich