• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fungus inhibitor for eggs

lonlangione

Members
What fungus inhibitors do you use for artificially hatching eggs. I have been getting eggs from my Tilapia ruweti every Saturday like clockwork for six weeks. There are two females in this tank and they alternate breeding with the male. If I let the eggs in with them they will let them hatch and if I don't get them right away they eat the fry. The first time I got ten fry and managed to save two feeding golden pearls. I now have fresh brine shrimp eggs and have baby brine available all the time. I pulled the river stone out and put it in a 5 1/2 with RO water in it and three fry hatched before the eggs fungused. I put alder cones in the breeding tank a few weeks ago and when I pulled the eggs I also inoculated the water in the 5 1/2 with some alder cone "wine". I put a small OTB filter on the end of the tank with a sponge over the inlet for circulation. I cover the tank with a black towel so it is pitch black inside. This worked to a point, I have about 12 fry this time. I am not home much these days till the week of the 19th. I plan on concentrating on this that week and I want to be prepared. I have never had to worry about this in the past. But When any article reads that these guys are lousy parents, it is true. I also want to ask Anton about them next month. Can anyone suggest a fungicide? I have never liked meth blue malacite green. I used to use acriflavine with my killifish eggs years ago, but it is old I would have to buy new. There are several products I could use but I thought I would ask you all what you are using cause youse guys are awesome...... I guess I could also buy an egg tumbler. But how do I get the eggs off a river stone without damaging them. They will only spawn on river stones for me I have other substrates, cave and pots in there. It is quite frustrating when they are laying 100's of eggs and only getting 2 - 10 out of a spawn. Oh by the way, they are one of the most striking fish I have ever owned when they are in breeding color, and the eggs are an "army" green color. I hope to get have an abundance of these to bring to a meeting in the fall.

Thanks, Lonny

69cichlids

Members
First I'm not an expert with the type if fish your breeding but maybe try a power head to keep water moving across them?...not a powerful one. Iv also heard mixing peroxide with water 1/2 cup to 10 gal of water, I haven't tried it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mscichlid

Founder
Can you swith riverstones.
I read on apistogramma.com that a guy put his in an egg tumbler. Using a razor blade might help you get them off the rock.

lonlangione

Members
Well I guess I will make an egg tumbler this weekend. But I don't think that's gonna stop the fungus. I know Janos - Nebraska Cichlids - put some eggs in a tumbler and had some success with it. That is what you probably read Fran. But these eggs are sticky and I just don't see them doing good in a tumbler. I may try to take like half of the eggs off with a razor blade like Fran suggested and try tumbling them. I tried the peroxide thing before, but when dealing with peroxide it is available in many different strengths most of it already mixed with water. I tried household peroxide with killifish eggs a few years ago and it didn't work. It was suggested I try Maroxy as well. I'm gonna try all of these next spawn. And if none of these work, I'll go back to the blue sh+t. Thanks

mscichlid

Founder
What I used to do with apistos is lean the rock or pot with the eggs on it and put an airstone near it to keep them clean. Switch the rocks and try that.

minifoot77

Members
alder cones are a natural anti fungal and if its on a rock you could put it in a separate tank 2.5 maybe and put an air stone close to keep the current flowing over them....

lonlangione

Members
alder cones are a natural anti fungal and if its on a rock you could put it in a separate tank 2.5 maybe and put an air stone close to keep the current flowing over them....

From my original post:
I pulled the river stone out and put it in a 5 1/2 with RO water in it and three fry hatched before the eggs fungused. I put alder cones in the breeding tank a few weeks ago and when I pulled the eggs. I also inoculated the water in the 5 1/2 with some alder cone "wine". I put a small OTB filter on the end of the tank with a sponge over the inlet for circulation. I cover the tank with a black towel so it is pitch black inside. This worked to a point, I have about 12 fry this time.

From Ted Judy's presentation at CCA awhile back I learned that the alder cones and their extract have to be in the breeding tank before the eggs are laid. I used the alder cone "wine" as a back up. I put a dozen alder cone in a jar and microwaved the water for 3 minutes and left it sit till it cooled. It did work better than anything I have tried so far. But still 12 fry from 100's of eggs is still a poor hatch. I just got back from That Fish Place with the Maroxy, Seargents who owns the Mardel brand now changed the name to Maracyn - oxy. I am going to try this with half of the eggs the next spawn and tumbling the rest of the eggs.. Caleb, you will probably be right about the Meth blue. I just hate using it. Mike Wise also suggested I use meth blue.

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good advice, Caleb... that's what I'd do (although I probably use a shoebox-sized rubbermaid or NLS container for the eggs / babies (vs. 2.5g).

Probably put it on top of a (warm) larger tank as well.

Matt

Ophelia77

Members
+1,2, 3 on the air stone. They may not be fungusing from water quality, but lack of water movement. When artificially hatching our angel eggs, we found our highest success was with placing the air stone so that the bubbles gently run over the eggs.

lonlangione

Members
I used maroxy this last time with the airstone over the eggs and got a pretty good hatch. I have come to the conclusion that it isn't water quality or what fungicide I am using that is the problem. The male is still young and he isn't fertilizing all of the eggs. Every spawn is producing more fry. He has been alternating between females and spawning every weekend for almost 7 weeks and he quite simply can not keep up. I took him out of the tank and put him in a separate tank for a few weeks. Then I will put him back in and see how it goes this next time.