• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS: Guianacara sp.

Becca

Members
Juveniles - photo is of one of the parents

$5 each. 4 for $16.

Most likely a regional variant of stergiosi or dacrya.

Easy to keep, nice bright white with pearly scales and gold/yellow fins.

Can be picked up in Damascus, MD or delivered to April meeting.

10668954_10100777039049463_984616576718611406_o.jpg

lkelly

Members
3-5" depending on sex, though it can be hard to tell males from females by looks until about a year after they've already started spawning. Females are smaller.

Insider tip: you can tell the females from the males WHEN they are spawning by checking to see which one is laying eggs. Should cut your identification time short by about a year.

</smartass>

Becca

Members
Insider tip: you can tell the females from the males WHEN they are spawning by checking to see which one is laying eggs. Should cut your identification time short by about a year.

</smartass>

I did actually almost add that, but figured it went without saying. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishEggs

</smartass>

that's only if you can catch them in the act. Then that starts a whole big scandal.

FishEggs

They'll have to go see the Garra Rufa for therapy.

Do you think they will do well in a 55g with 6 rainbow cichlids or will they go nuts during spawning?

Becca

Members
I think 6 rainbow cichlids is probably the maximum number of cichlids you want in a 55.

6 of these would be great in a 55 (that's how I keep them) but if you put 12 of comparable size and attitude in that tank, you're asking for trouble.

Becca

Members
I'm wondering how they'd do in my pool.

Luis,

They're juvies, so they might not spawn this year, but they'd probably grow out very nicely in that much water. I've found them to be relatively temperate and I don't heat their tank in the summer. They tend to spawn most often in the fall, around the time I turn the heat back on, which might suggest a cooling off period is helpful, but it's not necessary.

Terri

CCA Members
Love Guianacara spp.--I picked up 2 pair of Laetacara from Tangled Up Inn Cichlids during BFD & so no longer have the tank space. Perhaps once the 100g tub-pond warms up...
Terri