• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS: Featherfin Group

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Tired of the same old Malawi tank? Try something pretty awesome....

Up for sale is my group (5 or 6 fish) of Opthalmatilapia nasuta. They came from Old World in the spring of this year. They are about 4" now and just wanting to color up and start spawning.

A bit of back story here. I special ordered them from a vender who got them from Old World. I had intended on filling in my group of Opthalmatilapia nasuta "Green tiger Magara." Old World instead shipped either the Kipili or Mukoza collection point. Dave Schumacher has verified that they are one of the two varieties and they are both stocked by Old World.

Here are adult pictures of the two variations (we suspect that they are Kipili). Once they color up, it will be obvious which ones they are.

Depending on the lighting and their mood, their colors change a fair bit, so I've posted a couple of pictures of each.

Kipili (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=2100):

(First in breeding dress)
e974f9bf80ec5d4b.jpg

(Normal coloration)
image.php

Mukosa:

(Likely breeding coloration)

w023.jpg

So as you can see, the additional yellow in the body of the Kipili sets it apart from the Mukoza.

I've attached a short video of mine in the 125. They are the mostly-yellow guys (the more silvery ones are the Magara). To give you an idea of why they call them "featherfins," check out the male Magara at the bottom around 1:07. Because they are in with the much larger male, they're not in a rush to color-up or start spawning.

[YT]zCycteKYU4M[/YT]

If I had the space, I would definitely hold onto them, but they cannot go with my other group without the possibility of interbreeding. Somebody should grab these and get the BAP points (I've already done all the work, lol).

In terms of aggression, these are the least aggressive featherfins out there. They can be kept with Cyps, non-completely-hateful Tang rock dwellers, Tang sand dwellers and hard water catfish (synos). Shoot, Jim keeps his with milder peacocks and haps. They can go in a 55 for a while and can probably stay in a 75 long term.

Looking to get what I paid for them when I bought the group at 2" about 10 months ago. $15 per fish. All are completely healthy and active. Eat flake or NLS like it's going out of style.

Like I said, they are rare fish and ready to breed. Put them in a tank where they are top dog and it will be a stunner of a setup. Be the first kid on your block to breed these guys!

Pickup at my place in Gaithersburg (Christmas Party) or willing to meet around Montgomery County. Will not ship.

Last edited:

YSS

Members
Tony,

I am interested. But can't committ, yet. I will let you know in a day or two.

Tony

Tony,

I am interested. But can't committ, yet. I will let you know in a day or two.

Cool. Thanks Yun.

Mull it over. I'd like to move these guys sooner than later.

guarddog5

CCA Members
They are a good looking group. I have a group of O. mukosa (8) swimming in a 75 gallon with a group of A. ethelwynnae peacocks (10), and a pair of A. calvus, you will enjoy watching them.

Tony

Tony

So long as the red caps are not massive, I would think so.

Talked with Jim Peck a bit about this combo (he has 5 groups of featherfins). He said that there may be an issue if the red caps are larger and in too small a tank. The lethrinops can be a bit aggressive and may intimidate the featherfins into not coloring up very well.

eden2020

Members
Red Cap

Tony,

The Red Caps are under 4 inches tip to tip and seem to be playing second fiddle to a 6 pack of smaller Cop. Mloto Ivoryhead. The female Ivory Head are no problem, however the smaller but colored male seems to run the show, but only when he feels he needs to. Truthfully the two groups so very well together, but I have noticed Lethrinops are not the bullying type that I am accustomed to seeing with Haps and other Africans. (On a side not, fry I got from you are still doing VERY well.. thanks again)

Cyps seem to have a distinct following and loyalty. Never seriously considered them until now. Super neat- been doing a lot of reading on them. If not yours, then some others down the road for sure..

-marc and family

tremper

Members
Tony, I'll take these off your hands if I can find someone to take the trio (2M/1F? of O ventralis Chituta off of my hands..... Let me post a quick FS on the site.....

YSS

Members
Can't do it, Tony. No room in my tanks and the empty tank has not been sealed yet.

Hey Tony,

I'm still looking for a 75 g tank and a double 75g metal stand because I'd love to get these fish.

If someone wants to get these guys, let them because all I have is a 30g cube to put them in for now until I find my tank and stand.

Arlene