• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS: Fahaka Puffer

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
6-7" Fahaka Puffer, eats frozen and live food (shrimp, snails, worms, crayfish). He does live with other fish but it's 50/50 if that will always work. $50

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
72g. Most say they need 120g or larger because they polute the water but I have it on a drip system and the water prams are fine. He has 4 other fish living with him and plenty of room.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
man he is cute! Is that Beaker? I can't believe you are selling him!
Yeah that's him, I just can't dedicate a tank to him right now and it's a risk to keep other fish with him. He's been great with other fish so far but the fish I need to put with him I'm not willing to risk. I think some people can't see them cause I linked the photo's from my MFK account. I added them here.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Wow.. now I can see the pics.... he certainly is awesome.

Never kept any puffers before; how much time does he spend in the sand? I didn't know they did that.

longstocking

Members
Oh I would love to have him... I wish I had an empty big tank at the moment. So cool ! I know nothing about them...

what kind of fish can he get along with? How big do they need to be to not be eaten? And how aggressive can they take? And how aggressive are they to other fish?

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
The rule of thumb with these guys is they need to live alone. The concensus in the hobby is about 10% will put up with tank mates. Mine seems to be one of those, however I'm afraid to keep him with any fish that I don't want to loose. When he was younger he did kill a convict but since then he hasn't borthered anyone. I think that had more to do with the convict out competing him for the live shrimp I was putting in the tank and at that time all he would eat was live food. Once he started eating frozen food it was easier to ensure he was getting his food (the con's and cutteri couldn't swallow the whole shrimp). They can get to 18", with 12" being more common in aquaria. I don't think this one will get over 12" or he would be that large already. That probably has to do with my inability to feed him enough live food when he was younger. Now that he eats frozen and live feeding is easy. He will usually only take food 2-3 times a week. I buy 1lb of frozen shrimp from walmart for $5 and throw one in every 2-3 days. That usually lasts about 2 months. I supplement with snails and crayfish. They must have the inverts in their diet to control tooth growth. The puffer expert on MFK runs a forum called thepufferforum.com she keeps her's with frontosa, pelco's and a few others I can't remember. But you just never know so I wouldn't recommed sticking them with any fish you couldn't bare to lose.