• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS: Apisto. Cacatuoides 'Orange Flash' sub-adults

chris_todd

Members
I have somewhere between six and twelve juvenile/sub-adult Apistogramma cacatuoides 'Orange Flash' for sale. They vary in size from about one inch (juveniles) to about two inches (sub-adults). I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure I can sex the larger ones, the smaller ones I'm not so sure.

I got the parents from Rose and Tony Orso at Aquafest a couple of years ago, and the daddy is easily 4.5", maybe five, and I hope he lives long enough for me to put him in the ACA convention show.

I'm asking $18 for a sexed pair, $8 for a sexed sub-adult (around 2"), or $5 for unsexed juveniles (about 1"). I can deliver to the Saturday meeting.

Some crappy iPhone pics:
This is the daddy (who is not for sale)
1422d9c8.jpg

Here's a shot with daddy and one of the larger boys:
9b2b80ba.jpg

Some shots of several of the larger kids:
64bba4cb.jpg

That discus is about 7" nose to tail, for comparison purposes:
e1a188f0.jpg

06448a82.jpg

ca64c06c.jpg

Probable female?:
9aa6d1f9.jpg

e8b7b5f2.jpg

YSS

Members
If I get a male sub-adult and a female sub-adult, is it $16 or $18? Either way, I would like a pair please. Jose, will pay you and pick up the fish for you if that's ok with you.

chris_todd

Members
What kind of water conditions are you keeping them in?

They have grown up in my heavily planted 90g, whose pH stays around 7.0-7.4 or so. I haven't measured the hardness lately, but that tank gets 50% weekly water changes with Baltimore City tap water treated with Prime, and my tap water is about pH 7.8 with 10 ppm Nitrates and about 450 uS conductivity.

So nothing special. The parents spawn regularly in this tank, and the fry grow up in this tank, I don't separate them. So the juvies and sub-adults that are left are the ones that are smart enough to run away from the German Blue Rams and Discus in that tank. :)

chris_todd

Members
If I get a male sub-adult and a female sub-adult, is it $16 or $18? Either way, I would like a pair please. Jose, will pay you and pick up the fish for you if that's ok with you.
A male and a female make a pair, so $18. I've got you down for one pair.

rich_one

Members
Dude... I know this is an odd question, but do you mind if I ask what temp you have your water at? Just curious... didn't know apistos could go in with discus!

-Rich

chris_todd

Members
Dude... I know this is an odd question, but do you mind if I ask what temp you have your water at? Just curious... didn't know apistos could go in with discus!

-Rich

78-79* F I know people say you should keep Discus at higher temps, but mine seem to be happy.

YSS

Members
78-79* F I know people say you should keep Discus at higher temps, but mine seem to be happy.

Hmmm .... My tanks is between 82 and 86. Do you think that's ok? I saw yours with discus, so I thought your tank temp was in the 80's...

ddavila06

Members
Chris, will you make the gwapa meeting at Ganzhafar's? if so i would like a pair or a trio.. let me know. thanks

you do have some left btw, right?

chris_todd

Members
Chris, will you make the gwapa meeting at Ganzhafar's? if so i would like a pair or a trio.. let me know. thanks

you do have some left btw, right?

Damian,
Yes, I should be at the January meeting at Ghazanfar's place. I'll put you down for a pair/trio, and save them for you.

I'm about to do some tank maintenance on the 90g, and see if I can catch out all the apistos, so I can get an accurate count. At this point, I think I'm close to sold out on the sub-adults, but let me get a more accurate count tonight, and I'll post an update of what's available.

chris_todd

Members
Hmmm .... My tanks is between 82 and 86. Do you think that's ok? I saw yours with discus, so I thought your tank temp was in the 80's...

Well, I'm no expert, and I'm constantly trying to learn, but while I'm sure there are people out there that would chide me for keeping discus at 78* F, it has worked for me so far. I certainly wouldn't criticize anyone for keeping discus at 82* or more, since it is my understanding that the rivers they live in are close to that temperature, and there are lots of people that say you should keep discus at above 80* F.

And hey, if it works for you, it's hard to argue with success! I just watched the video of your 265g that you posted on dSerk's "new tank" thread, and holy cr*p man, that's a freakin' awesome tank! What are the huge non-discus cichlids that are in there - are they a geophagus species?

But I've often wondered about the water temperature of the small Amazon tributaries discus come from - relatively small bodies of water can change temperature a lot in response to changing weather, and I would think any fish evolved to live in those waters would have developed the ability to adapt to temps in a wider range than, say, Malawi cichlids could handle.

Then again, I may be completely ignorant of the conditions discus live in (I really want to go on one of those Margarita tours of the Amazon some day), and most of us with discus have domestically bred strains that haven't seen the Amazon in many generations. So who knows.

YSS

Members
Well, I'm no expert, and I'm constantly trying to learn, but while I'm sure there are people out there that would chide me for keeping discus at 78* F, it has worked for me so far. I certainly wouldn't criticize anyone for keeping discus at 82* or more, since it is my understanding that the rivers they live in are close to that temperature, and there are lots of people that say you should keep discus at above 80* F.

And hey, if it works for you, it's hard to argue with success! I just watched the video of your 265g that you posted on dSerk's "new tank" thread, and holy cr*p man, that's a freakin' awesome tank! What are the huge non-discus cichlids that are in there - are they a geophagus species?

But I've often wondered about the water temperature of the small Amazon tributaries discus come from - relatively small bodies of water can change temperature a lot in response to changing weather, and I would think any fish evolved to live in those waters would have developed the ability to adapt to temps in a wider range than, say, Malawi cichlids could handle.

Then again, I may be completely ignorant of the conditions discus live in (I really want to go on one of those Margarita tours of the Amazon some day), and most of us with discus have domestically bred strains that haven't seen the Amazon in many generations. So who knows.

Thanks! Yes, those are geo altiferons. I guess I will give a pair a try and see how it goes. Thanks! :)

chris_todd

Members
I'm really sorry, folks, but I'm not going to be able to make today's meeting, we've had a minor plumbing disaster, and I've got quite a mess to clean up.

We'll catch up some other time, the cacatuoides are not going anywhere.

chris_todd

Members
Hey you got anymore apistos left?

Rama

Rama, I have plenty of sub-adult makes left, but all my females are spoken for.

If you're coming to the February meeting I'll take 6 unsexed juvies if you still have them available.

I should be at the February meeting, and I'm pretty sure I have at least six of the unsexable juvies. Note that if you're hoping to get at least one female, I have been getting about 70-80% males out of my broods (I've been trying to figure out why; some have speculated that it is pH dependent, but others suggest the stronger factor is temperature).