• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Frog Stowaways

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Anyone have much experience with the African clawed frogs you see in pet stores? I bought a piece of driftwood from a tank that had these frogs in it. I had the store employee examine the piece to make sure there were no frogs still attached, and took it home. When I got home, sure enough, there were 3 frogs in the bag. Anybody have problems keping these guys with their fish?

I put one in my discus tank just to see how he'd get along. He just ran under a piece of driftwood and stayed there. I put the other 2 in a 10 gallon if anybody would like one or both. They're used in nano tanks quite frequently.

Just thought I'd seek out any advice people had, and share my latest fish store adventure.

TheWire

Members
wow..nice free frog :)

hmm ain't driftwood is bad for african tank as it leached and make the water more acidic?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Driftwood was for my discus tank. I think the frogs are riverine but I'm not sure, never researched them. Nothing but rock in my African tanks.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
You can, but it'll probably still leach the tannins and make the water acidic. If its already been cycled through the leaching process, then there shouldn't be any issues.

maddog10

Members
I don't think that the driftwood makes the water that much more acidic (no data to back up my claim). It is probably only an issue if you do not do regular (weekly) water changes and your water is already borderline for rift lake fish.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I think they have a habit of occasionally picking off small fish. I can't remember; do you have neons/cardinals in the discus tank, Mike? You may have to keep an eye on them, depending on the size of the frog.

*Unless they're huge, your discus should be fine. :p

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I think there are two types of those frogs. One is harmless, the other will kill fish. I can't remember anymore.
That definitely makes a big difference. I'm sure these are the dwarf variety, so I shouldn't have any problems. I did some google research and it does say they'll basically eat whatever they can fit in their mouth. I used to have cardinals, but now my smallest fish are rasboras. These frogs are maybe nickel size, so fry would be the only thing they would pose a danger to. They might uproot some plants, but I haven't seen any problems yet. I have 3, does anybody want 1 or 2? As far as the discus go, they're nearly full grown, so they'd be more likely to eat the frogs than vice-versa.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah, that would be an imposing frog. Some of those discus are about the size of my hand. I'm sure there are some frogs big enough somewhere though.