• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Freshwater stingrays

ejackson2478

Members
So I have just recently become fascinated by freshwater stingrays. I was thinking about getting a teacup stingray, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on them. Also, if anyone knows of a good website to buy stingrays from, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
I have not seen any reputable references to teacup stingrays be anything other than young stingrays.

If you want something similar in a much smaller package you might try freshwater flounders. They aren't as active as stingrays, but they are far less demanding in terms of housing.

samsmobb

Members
Congressional aquariums in Rockville has them, I think Motoros. They aren't very demanding actually just do alot better with live foods otherwise a somewhat large tank to start off like 75 gal and good substrate

So I have just recently become fascinated by freshwater stingrays. I was thinking about getting a teacup stingray, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on them. Also, if anyone knows of a good website to buy stingrays from, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Stingrays can get HUGE. I would recommend a 75 gallon until they get about 12" tall then go with a 240+. The are very fragile and will die real quick with high nitrates. They require cleaning up leftover food after every feeding, sandy bottom to bury in, and good water flow. They will be tough to find this time of the year until about June-Sept. due to breeding season. I will be importing some motoros for ECT in Aug. if we can get around MD laws.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've always been fascinated with rays as well but never kept them because they're one of those fish that require quite a bit more long-term commitment than your average fish in terms of tank, maintenance, feeding, etc, etc.

Maybe some day when I've got a few indoor tropical ponds...

Matt

Teacup rays are Potamotrygon reticulata. Males get to be about 18-24" in diameter. Females get to be as big as 3' in diameter! The ones you see in stores sold at 3-4" in diameter are newborns.

They are best kept in shallow, ROUND tanks in excess of 200 gallons. They don't eat flakes or pellets (think krill, worms, fish, and shrimp) which makes them very expensive to house and maintain.

All in all they are a good candidate for one of those fish that should not be kept in captivity.

There are smaller rays like Motoros and Henlei that are better suited for aquariums but even they get well over a foot in diameter and require specialized care as well as a high price.

I encourage you to think really hard before purchasing one.

Andy

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I thought teacup rays only get like 1' long. Congressional sells them for $100 a piece. Also, a circular tank is mandatory.