• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fluval Shrimp tank

ddavila06

Members
got this at super pets right before they closed. fish tank is 7.6 gallon. comes with compact flourescent mini light.
substrate: mouriate of potash and dolomites scattered at the bottom, pure laterite, shrimp stuff that came with the tank and topped off with flora max black :D ( i wanted to add depth)

stock, so far i only have a pair of apistogrammoides i got from M. Barber and im holding two nannacara fish in there for a bit.

im looking for opinion no fish that swims together and are small (.75-1 inch)

i will eventually add shrimp, waiting for the right deal and tank to cycle a little more :D

Plants: Crypt wendtii "bronze", purple bamboo, mini micro sword, peacock moss, didiplis diandra, ludwigia brevipes, hydrocotyle sibthorpioides.

tank is been set up for almost two weeks, (got it after saturday at ACA) :cool:

what do you guys think? can you suggest some fish, shrimp. thanks for looking!

apistogrammoide 2.JPG

apistogrammoide 3.JPG

NEW 016.JPG

NEW 018.JPG

NEW 020.JPG

planted.JPG

planted 2.JPG

planted 3.jpg

planted 4.JPG

planted 5.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Looks awesome, bro. I'll be setting back up something in my office here sometime soon and I think this thread got me fired up again.

Too many projects....

ddavila06

Members
Tony! there is always an excuse to get a new tank set up!!!

Franny, these apistogrammoides are small, hopefully they will leave some shrimp be, but i will never know until i try so yeah..i want shrimp!!

Jose, the top is open currently, it does have a glass thing you can put on it but i don't wanna =D besides the filter that i put on is hang on back tipe and wouldnt fit. it does come with a filter but i don't like it, too chunky!! (is in the for sale section if you want to buy it lol)

thanks guys for the compliments, i will update in a few weeks, hope things grow without co2...

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
You can experiment all you like but the apistogrammoides will eat the shrimp. If you want fish with shrimp get some Heterandia from Mike. They are about the only ones I know of that will co-exist with shrimp. He has some OK shrimp too.

By the way, Mike should just be out of the jungle tonight and ready to come home from Peru.

George

ddavila06

Members
wow those chili look pretty online! i will see what happens.. i don't have a place to keep the apistogrammoide for now....and i think i might only have one, they look pretty close to the nannacara........i cant tell them apart =O thanks for the imput everyone!
and i like open top, all my aquariums are open, i hate calcium build ups on them...
and bree, thanks for the link, i will check it out this afternoon.

ddavila06

Members
just wanted to mention that i have changed my mind about keeping shrimps. maybe they are just not ment for my tank!! i received a few donations of different species and the results were disastrous...all gone! within hours of putting them into the tank!!!
test results:
ph:7.6 kind of high but shouldnt kill right away
nitrite: 0
nitrate around~ 5
GH and KH uhmmm.... im not sure what the results mean, one took five drops to change to green, the other one took 18 drops to change to the other color...i need to read up more on that.
i don't have an ammonia kit but i just had done a water change..so i don't know. =(

ddavila06

Members
i did. i don't know man. maybe im just not ment to have shrimp.. maybe an ammonia spike from just cycling... fish seem fine though. i have no clue:(

verbal

CCA Members
just wanted to mention that i have changed my mind about keeping shrimps. maybe they are just not ment for my tank!! i received a few donations of different species and the results were disastrous...all gone! within hours of putting them into the tank!!!
Gone as in dead or disappeared?

If they are disappeared do the fish look fat and happy?

I also seem to have a bit of a shrimp curse. Although I have a couple of cherry red shrimp that seem to have survived it for quite a while.

ddavila06

Members
Gone as in dead or disappeared?

If they are disappeared do the fish look fat and happy?

I also seem to have a bit of a shrimp curse. Although I have a couple of cherry red shrimp that seem to have survived it for quite a while.

nha man, fish were rpobably scared of the bodies laying all around them!! :eek:

ddavila06

Members
a GWAPA friend finally help me find out what killed all the shrimp. its important to remember, planted people, mouriate of potash (potash) kills shrimp....=/
if you do mineralised soil you can not keep shrimp, at least for some time it seems...i add the mineralised soil ingredients to other soil mixes i get so yeah..there is the big mistery. for now i will concentrate on killing some darn algea i got with some plants and finding some small fish to make the tank look pretty! =D wish me luck everyone, i will try shrimp eventually in the future, not near though.

YSS

Members
Did the background come with the tank? I think I will have to set one up at work. That would be nice.

ddavila06

Members
Did the background come with the tank? I think I will have to set one up at work. That would be nice.

yes it did. the background is glued already, also came with filter but i didnt like it because it is an in-tank kind. it also has a cover, some shrimp food and stuff..the only thing i would suggest getting is extra substrate, one more kilo of the stuff they sell the tank with to give it more depth, unless you want to add your own "extra" stuff to it. just remember, POTASH= NO SHRIMP, NO SNAILS, NO INVERTS AT ALL....:eek:

ddavila06

Members
Mid September update.

gotta say, my shrimpless tank is looking allright but stem plants are not doing so well. the original stems died (rotted from the stem up) and i put something else -ludwigia arcuata- that seemed easier to grow and nothing. so i guess it is safe to say that the light that comes with the set up is crap for nicer/somewhat more demanding plants.
the crypts and moss are doing great! the mini micro is established with roots and all but no much spreading... should i add co2? is such a little tank.. comments?

just did a water change, please ignore the few floating things lol, i am getting some more plants soon and i been making room/reorganizing.

i think this tank is ready to add some shrimp. by now the potash levels should have gone down, what do you think?

nannacara 004.JPG

nannacara 007.jpg

nannacara 008.jpg

nannacara 009.jpg