• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Flakes

Ading522

Members
hi guys,

I wanted your opinion on the best flake to provide for fish.. I keep african cichlids, and a few platys in another tank.. which food brand would you recommend the most? or does food brand even matter? I want my fish to have the best nutrition that would mimic what they normally consume in their natural habitat..

thanks guys! any input would be greatly appreciated!

chriscoli

Administrator
What kind of African cichlids? You need to look up what their diet needs are first.

If you have Mbuna, they need to have an overall veggie-heavy (or spirulina-heavy) food. Don't give them anything that's soft and meaty. There are other options if the fish you're keeping a more predatory or are insectivorous.

The platys will eat anything.

I like to switch around my brands throughout the week. I usually give my Mbuna a veggie flake (ZooMed spirulina, Kens Vegie or Spirulina Flake, Your Fish Stuff's Veggie Flake) and once or twice a week give them pellets like Extreme cichlid Pee Wee or NLS (New Life Spectrum).

My other African cichlids usually get some veggie flakes about once a week, but I give them whatever other flakes I have, or some NLS and Extreme more often, plus I'll throw in some Krill or frozen food as well.

I have some African Cichilds that don't really go for flakes, but like to have the sinking food come to them (some stay in their caves and dart out as it touches the ground near them).

I know it's not flakes, but they all occasionally get Repashy as well....the Mbuna get Soilent Green, and the other African Cichlids occasionally get Shrimp Souffle or Meat Pie.

Ading522

Members
What kind of African cichlids? You need to look up what their diet needs are first.

If you have Mbuna, they need to have an overall veggie-heavy (or spirulina-heavy) food. Don't give them anything that's soft and meaty. There are other options if the fish you're keeping a more predatory or are insectivorous.

The platys will eat anything.

I like to switch around my brands throughout the week. I usually give my Mbuna a veggie flake (ZooMed spirulina, Kens Vegie or Spirulina Flake, Your Fish Stuff's Veggie Flake) and once or twice a week give them pellets like Extreme cichlid Pee Wee or NLS (New Life Spectrum).

My other African cichlids usually get some veggie flakes about once a week, but I give them whatever other flakes I have, or some NLS and Extreme more often, plus I'll throw in some Krill or frozen food as well.

I have some African Cichilds that don't really go for flakes, but like to have the sinking food come to them (some stay in their caves and dart out as it touches the ground near them).

I know it's not flakes, but they all occasionally get Repashy as well....the Mbuna get Soilent Green, and the other African Cichlids occasionally get Shrimp Souffle or Meat Pie.

I have a just a few mbuna..mostly peacocks and other frontosa..the reason I wanted to ask about the flakes is because i wanted to mix some flakes along with the NLS pellets i give them..sometimes i mix the pellets with spirulina brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms..

chriscoli

Administrator
There are others that can speak about Frontosa (I've never kept them) but I used to give my peacocks pretty much any flake that they'd eat.

I tend to buy my flakes from Ken's fish or from Your Fish Stuff.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I wanted your opinion on the best flake to provide for fish.

Tony, hands down. He stopped by my crib last year when I was out for two weeks and I honestly think when I returned my fish were disappointed to see me instead of he.

I keep african cichlids, and a few platys in another tank.. which food brand would you recommend the most? or does food brand even matter?

No more than anything else you do, who your teachers are, how you vote or whom you marry.

I want my fish to have the best nutrition that would mimic what they normally consume in their natural habitat..

Depends on the species but mosquito larva, daphnia-like crustaceans and sediment worms are pretty much universal to all freshwater temperate/tropical habitats and same goes for flies/small winged insects. So, freeze-dried foods are really good and very nutritious, but that's only half the equation as many/most fish eat a lot of vegetable natter as well which is why good spiruiina/veggie flake/pellets (like Ken's) are important/essential. I like feeding a mixed diet but these days some (not all) of the formulations are so good that they probably rival what a lot of fish get in the wild.

Ading522

Members
Thanks sam!! by the way.. when you meant Tony, did you mean Tony Horos? or is there a website much like kensfish thats name tonysfish?