• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish Rack Plan

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey guys,

So I finally have my ducks in a row and have figured out my plan for my fish rack in my basement workshop. The rack will be 8' long with three rows of tanks. The top row will have three 20L. The middle row will have 7+/- 10 gallons (short-wise) and 2 +/- 5.5 gallons. The bottom row (on floor) will have 3 30B/30T (designing now to accommodate 30T because I already have one and they are more common for finding a 2nd one). I posted a while back about a height restriction and it's still the major design factor (70" to top of top tank). Vertically, it will layout like this (top to bottom):

Cabinet door bottom
13" - 20L
5" - Shelf (3/8 blue foam, 3/4" plywood, 3.5" 2x4)
6" - working space
13" - 10G
5" - Shelf (same as above)
6" - working space
17" - 30 tall
4" - double 4x4s under tank
Floor

The top tank can be accessed behind the cabinet doors (which swing up).... I will remove the bottom shelf.

So the bottom tanks will be sitting on the floor atop 4x4s. While this does not allow for much syphoning strength, it'll have to work. Perhaps if I get some extra funds, I can switch these tanks to the 30B variety that are shorter and wider and move them up a bit more.

The 6" working space between tanks is thin, but will be more like 8" under the shelves themselves (away from the perimeter 2x4s). I will mount shop lights directly to the underside of the plywood shelves.

As for vertical supports (here's where I need help), I plan on using 2 ea 2x4 at each end, with 3 across the back and 2 across the front. Is this enough support? I have a few old 2x12s and could switch out one or more of the rear 2x4s for one of these puppies.

What is the recommended max axial load of a 2x4"?

I know pictures would help, and will try to put something up when I have more time.

Thanks for all your help in advance,
Tony

maddog10

Members
You will hate the 6" work space. You will not be able to easily change/add decor to the tanks. If you are using power filters you will have a hard time cleaning them (I have trouble with 8" of space).

With a 2x4, I do not have any unsupported spans over 4'. I use 2x6 for 6' spans and would use 2x8 for an 8' span. Your rack is similar to what I use. The total length is 9' and I have an addition 2x4 support riser in the center, this gives me two 4' bays.

Here is a shot that kind of shows what I mean.
fr-4.jpg

TheWire

Members
Why worry about the weight when you can get the more industrial looking racks - heavy duty steel rack ...Home depot or Lowes carry those...about $120 for a 72" long one....or $77 for a 48" one...i think it's rated 1000lb per shelf (verify)

chris_todd

Members
Can you post a pic or explain how you build yours?
A couple of issues ago, there was a profile of Matt in the Biotope, in which there were pictures of his racks. I don't think that issue is on the forum in electronic format, but this site has pictures that look similar to the basic design (although Matt used typical "racks", instead of the terraced design shown below):
http://naturalaquariums.com/aquariums/froom.html
For example:
rooma.JPG

Thanks for sharing Chris! Just what I was looking for! I just couldn't make out how you could build a fish rack with cinder blocks and 2x4's.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I go three tanks high and use the 6" ones- I'll post some pics when I get home

If anyone has the biotope of my fishroom in electronic form that would show it as well

Question

would it be posible to do something like this with 55 gal tanks? i have 4 that i dont want to get rid of but i am also looking to add a 180 and something over 200 gals to my collections. any ideas i a completely opened to them...

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
AS USUAL MADDOGG IM DROOLING ON MY KEYBOARD LOOKING AT YOUR PIC ROOM PICS. THE GUYS IN IT ARE GONNA HATE ME.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
would it be posible to do something like this with 55 gal tanks? i have 4 that i dont want to get rid of but i am also looking to add a 180 and something over 200 gals to my collections. any ideas i a completely opened to them...

You could stack them if you wanted to. Because they're tall tanks (21", I think), I wouldn't go more than two high. If you did go three high, it would be pretty rough accessing the top tank as well as leaving adequate space over the lower two.

If you had the wall space, two rows of two 55s would definitely work. :)

longstocking

Members
I will say I have 7 inches of room.... It's plenty for me... I wouldn't go smaller though.

But, I only use sponge filters in my room.