• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

first jewel spawn

At the last HCCC auction, I picked up a bag with 4 jewel cichlids, mostly because my spousal unit Stu had seen some colored up jewels at LFS and liked them. I got two in breeding colors, and two smaller ones. I separated them, and I think they are two pairs, as the smaller ones are now colored up also.
The first, larger pair i put in a 20 long, and today I came in from work and found a CLOUD of tiny fry around them.
Anyone have any experience with raising these guys? Stu and i are both wondering if ma and pa jewel might go on a cannibalistic feeding frenzy.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Congrats on the fry! When I had Jewels, I let the parents raise them up and scooped out the biggest to sell or trade in to a LFS. There were so many! I was overwhelmed with fry and kind of hoped some would get picked off. Once the fry got to be about .5 inch or so I took out the parents just in case. :happy0180:

mrkillie

Members
My experiences have been that jewels are some of the best parents and usually do not eat their own. Feed the fry baby brine shrimp from the start and they will grow quickly if you feed 3-4 times per day and do weekly or more frequent 50% water changes.

Looking at information on these fish, I believe these are Lifalilli, the red forest jewel, as the only spots they have are the one near the gills.
The fry are are there this morning, I have some powdered NLS to try to feed them today, till I can get some bbs, fresh or frozen.
I know they are not rare or anything, but they are cool, and it's a novel experience to have fish parents that actually have parenting skills....lol!

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Congrats J!!! Glad to hear Stu's fish are doing so well. The more he's interested, the more fish you get to keep ;)

My other pair of jewels has fry also! I had put them in the 33 long with all the plants,
BNs and the pair of T. ansogii (that haven't spawned to my knowledge) and for the last couple of days the smaller brightest red one was hiding out in a BN ceramic cone.
I came in today and they have a cloud of miniscule fry hanging out around the cone.
I guess I should move the ansogii befor they are massacred by the jewels.

Hawkman2000

Members
Try PE Mysis Shrimp. 70% protien. No sodium. Kinda pricy, but worth it.
Also, New Life Spectrum Cichlid. Great stuff.

PICS PLEASE.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
CONGRATS! THESE BABIES WILL BREED FASTER THEN CONVICTS. THOSE BABIES WILL BREED IN A 3-4 WEEKS LOL!

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
ALMOST FORGOT THEY CAN BE MEAN ALSO. I HAD SOME JUVIES STRIP A IR SHARKS BARBS DOWN TO NOTHING OVERNIGHT ONCE. I COULDNT BELIEVE IT. LITTLE AND PRETTY BUT MEAN.