• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Finally a tank I feel ok to show off...

JasonC

Members
So I finally have put together a tank that I feel is worthy to post about. This is a 20L with 4 Laetacara Dorsigaras I am trying to pair off (though I am starting to get suspicions that they are all fellas), and 6 Ancistrus sp. "Gold Pucallpa" growouts. Plants are all low/midlight plants including Crypt Wendetti "tropica", Crypt Blassii, Crypt Parva, Rotala Rotundifolia, Ludwigia Repens, and Valisneria nana. Plan on, for now, using Tom Barr's low maintenance method which entails one low dose of ferts and no CO2/Excel. May move to EI later on. Dont like the background blue, whish it was black instead, but I have another 20L that I intend on rehabbing and will probably transplant the entire tank to that after I have time.

I'm actually excited about this scape, and am looking forward to seeing it grow in!

L_Dorsigara-9_20_12.jpg

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Idea

Nice tank, like your rocks. Am going to do my best to bring a box of old slate roofing tiles to the next meeting so that anyone who wants to hide their sponge filters/heaters behind a natural looking (and potential spawning) stone wall may do so. Also makes for a good hiding place and detritus collection zone. Not saying you or anyone else needs them, but I find the effect pleasing.

JasonC

Members
mmm slate... wish I had the room in this tank. I ended up getting my rocks for free from the Stone Store in Hanover.. they sell their river rock by the ton only, so they told me as long as it was only a modest armload, they could care less if I went back and dove through their bins. There was a *lot* more there that I wanted than I could have carried in one arm load.. and I should have enough rock for another scape or two as it is :)

Mad props to the Stone Store!!

I'd be interested in some slate. Interesting idea for hiding things. I hate seeing equipment, which is probably why I have such heavily planted tanks. Photo, Sam, of the slate in use in a tank?

JasonC -- this is a nice tank. It's a bit sparse to my eye and I usually don't have the patience to wait for things to grow. If htis were mine, I would probably buy a nice java fern mat from Aquabid and stuff it somewhere to add some instant lushness.... Just a thought!

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Reboot

That's why roofing tiles are so cool - they're only about 1/4" thick so they don't take up any room/displace any water per se. No pictures (unless Chris wants to shoot some of hers) but I'll bring some to the meeting.

JasonC

Members
In general, I have to agree... waiting for plants to grow sucks ;P But I think that somehow this time I can see the potential in this tank, and that is motivating me to be patient and see this one out :)... that and full grown plants are silly expensive :lol:

JasonC -- this is a nice tank. It's a bit sparse to my eye and I usually don't have the patience to wait for things to grow. If htis were mine, I would probably buy a nice java fern mat from Aquabid and stuff it somewhere to add some instant lushness.... Just a thought!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Beautiful tank... the scaping makes it look a lot bigger than a 20L. :)

JasonC

Members
I've gotten two very nice java fern mats off Aquabid for something like $20 each. Well worth it IMHO.

Well, Thats not too awful... I may have to take a look at that. Do you have sellers for plants on aquabid/ebay that you trust more than others?

Beautiful tank... the scaping makes it look a lot bigger than a 20L. :)

Thanks! Definitely a *huge* fan of the 20L profile. They have a similar aspect ratio as the 55/75/90+ tanks... long and short.

verbal

CCA Members
Well, Thats not too awful... I may have to take a look at that. Do you have sellers for plants on aquabid/ebay that you trust more than others?

I haven't bought plants on Aquabid, but I would definitely recommend sticking to the domestic sellers. There are some foreign sellers who do some shady stuff to get through customs.

JasonC

Members
Cryptocoryne cordata var. cordata 'blassii'

Got it off a seller on plantedtank.net. Should be an interesting crypt, cant wait to see what it looks like as it fills in!

i like the crypt in the very middle!! what is it? very nice =)

ddavila06

Members
ahhh, didnt seem like it. the tank defenitly looks larger that 20Gl. i have a mat of that im my 75, u will like them very much!!!

JasonC

Members
I hope so..the blassii and parva represent me branching out to some of the more exotic crypts than the wendetii that I have been using in all my scaping attempts in the past. Been too afraid of crypt melt for some reason. These guys didn't melt at all though. in fact, the blassii has already sent out a runner!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishman13

Members
So I finally have put together a tank that I feel is worthy to post about. This is a 20L with 4 Laetacara Dorsigaras I am trying to pair off (though I am starting to get suspicions that they are all fellas), and 6 Ancistrus sp. "Gold Pucallpa" growouts. Plants are all low/midlight plants including Crypt Wendetti "tropica", Crypt Blassii, Crypt Parva, Rotala Rotundifolia, Ludwigia Repens, and Valisneria nana. Plan on, for now, using Tom Barr's low maintenance method which entails one low dose of ferts and no CO2/Excel. May move to EI later on. Dont like the background blue, whish it was black instead, but I have another 20L that I intend on rehabbing and will probably transplant the entire tank to that after I have time.

I'm actually excited about this scape, and am looking forward to seeing it grow in!
Thats going to fill out nicely. When I was obsessed about plants. My tanks were literly creating a rainforest. A canopy above the surface and below. It was beutiful. I had 2 silver angles that bred in the tank. Schools of glowlights and cardinals. Ancistris. Ottos. Plants were amazon swords,Vals,Crypts, lillies of all types. And this is in a 40 breeder mind you. And an all sandy bottom. It was magnificent. A true tank to the gods. But sadly i didnt have time as I got older and into highschool to maintain it.