• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Filtration

Sonny Disposition

For you? The inaugural CCA Biotope profile? The person who has given me more good fishkeeping advice on this Forum than I could ever keep track of?

Hmmm...maybe we can work something out. Come see me at the meeting.

Hey Bob.... could you spare a cutting of the Bacopa carolinensis??

If not.... do you know where to get them locally?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Someone was asking about this foam during the meeting.
Eric was showing some of it in the presentation.

Figured I would bring it up again for those that were asking.

There are lots of types of foam out there but like Eric said. This may be more expensive but it lasts a long time. One sheet is $100.00. You can make 6 filters for a 55 from one sheet.

So far my tanks with it are doing great.

Hans sells it.

Sonny Disposition

Thanks for posting! I love these DIY projects. Hey, have you considered training java moss to the foam? Maybe you could encourage some pothos to send roots into the foam.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Foam?

Someone was asking about this foam during the meeting.
Eric was showing some of it in the presentation.

Figured I would bring it up again for those that were asking.

There are lots of types of foam out there but like Eric said. This may be more expensive but it lasts a long time. One sheet is $100.00. You can make 6 filters for a 55 from one sheet.

So far my tanks with it are doing great.

Hans sells it.
Is it this foam?

http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret Filter Foam.html

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Hmm, Been just about a year. I guess its time to pull the filters out and clean them. Have not touched them since being installed. They say take out and beat it against a wall. Do not squeeze it.
Well I guess tomorrow will be the day to see whats behind them. lol

chris_todd

Members
Playing with the stuff now. Using it to divide a 33 into several sections. Putting air on each one. Should be a heck of a filter.
12X12.25 with 3 of them in there. lol

Pat, how did that work out? I'm considering doing the same thing with a 4 foot tank (maybe a 75g, but perhaps a 33 long or 40 long). Did you end up running air to each divider, or did you have the PVC outflow from the chamber on one end run all the way into the farthest chamber on the other end? Did I describe that well enough to visualize?

Actually, now that I think about it, would you really need the foam for all three dividers? In your 55s, just one piece on one end was enough, so having two or three sounds like over kill (unless maybe you wanted to massively overstock). Perhaps use some type of inert permeable mesh for the other chamber separators?

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
Once a year filter cleaning! I'm sold. I have a bunch of 20's, a 30 and a 75 I'd like to do this too.

Pat what is your assessment after 2 years?

Last edited:

minifoot77

Members
the 10 g i have and the 55 in my daughters room haven't been cleaned in over a year mike but i just recently had to replace the air stones....

Is the "Hans" that's mentioned in this thread the same Hans that will be speaking at next month's (November '10) meeting? Will he have any of the foam with him, or will he at least be talking about its use as a filter?

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
It is the same Hans, he has donated foam for the auction in the past. I think he sells it. He has a section on our forum in the sponsors section. I've bought 2 sheets of foam and am sold on the stuff, definitely makes an assortment of great filters ;)

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Too many Hans

Is the "Hans" that's mentioned in this thread the same Hans that will be speaking at next month's (November '10) meeting? Will he have any of the foam with him, or will he at least be talking about its use as a filter?

No, that would be Discus Hans, this post refers to Foam Hans (not to be confused with Filter Hans, his nephew), or Media Hans from the old country.

Apologies, they're all one and the same. You can link to him on the forum page under 'Sponsors' - you may send him a message and ask him.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Bottom line here is Yes, it is Discus Hans.

I will check with him to see if any foam will show up.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Had to do some diggin to figure out when I actually set up my 40Long's ( http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4113&highlight=mattenfilter ), it was March of 09 and they haven't been cleaned since I set them up. The thread was created in April but the filters were installed in March when I got the fish. I don't see where they're going to need to be cleaned for another year or so. The prefilters on the lift tubes have been cleaned several times but prefilters aren't necessary on standard setups, mine was a lil different.

Thanks again Pat for turning us onto this style of filter ;)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I took mine out and smacked them against the inside of the water barrel/trash can after a year. Been almost another year now.