• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Filtration

zackcrack00

Members
I am setting up a 125 with 30 4" mbuna. It has been suggested that I get 2 Fx5 external canister filter, and 2 125 gallon sponge filters. I don't think my parents or I have enough money for all of that, what are other alternatives? Also, if I do end up getting an Fx5 or two, what else do I need to buy media-wise?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have found FX5's to be great canister filters. They move a lot of water and have a good amount of room for bio media. I used Seachem's Pond Matrix for my bio media. It is a porous rock of some sort and is just a larger version of the Matrix bio media. Any bio media will work, but it takes a lot to fill up the FX5. I personally run 2 FX5's on my 180 that had a relatively high bio load. Yes, they are expensive, but they are worth it in my opinion.

My advice to you is to make sure you save up enough money to set the tank up right. I set my 180 up a few years ago and was in a similar position as you where I didn't want to/have a lot of money to spend on setting up the tank. I ended up skimping on my filtration to start with, opting for an undersized Eheim canister and undergravel filtration of all things. I ended up upgrading all of the filtration within the first year and essentially wasted a good deal of the money I spent on the initial outlay. The most cost effective way to set up your tank would be either to get a drilled tank and use a sump or a dump filter on a non-drilled tank. There was another thread on the forum recently that described a dump filter, so check that out for details.

Good luck with it, but please make sure you are ready when you get your fish. Last thing you want to do is purchase hundreds of dollars worth of fish only to have them die because you don't have the right set up.

verbal

CCA Members
At least initially, I would probably build my filtration around a couple AC 110s. The FX5 is a great filter, but it is hard to beat the Aquaclear 110 for "bang for your buck".

You are buying the fish as juvies right? So this does buy you some time until you have the full bioload to deal with.

There is a "poor man's" FX5 - Odyssea CFS 500 - that has about 1/2 the output, but is 1/4 the price. I would probably start with one of those. Then I would keep my eyes out for a used FX5 - $150 is a good price for one.

Forester

Members
Its going to be expensive no matter what. you're going to have to spend a good bit of money to get the right setup for those fish. the amount of filtration needed also depends on how often you are willing to change the water.

ddavila06

Members
how about fluval 405-406 to get u started... two of those used should not be expensive....... if ur good about changing ur water in a timely manner and so on (do not overfeed, no dead fish buried behind rocks) i think you should be fine .. i think 2 fx5 is way overkill! one and some sort of combination should do the trick...

zackcrack00

Members
I will be so exited and happy that i will try to name a few, let alone count them every day! On my 29 I do 20% every Sunday. Is that enough on a 125? And how do I preform water changes on that size tank?!?!?!?

verbal

CCA Members
I will be so exited and happy that i will try to name a few, let alone count them every day! On my 29 I do 20% every Sunday. Is that enough on a 125? And how do I preform water changes on that size tank?!?!?!?

Do you have a python water-changer?

ddavila06

Members

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Just adjust the tap to be the right temperature, same as you would for a smaller tank.

Hot water for a change on a single 125 should not be a problem - even in winter.

ezrk

Members
We change 75%+ on our African tanks every week and that only just keeps up with the Nitrate. They certainly don't mind the water changes and IMO draining the extra 25% isn't much more work than doing 50% in the first place. The only reason I would drain less is if I had water issues in terms of quantity or matches chemistry, in FFX county the water chemistry is already at African levels out of hte tap...