• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

film on water surface

moka

Members
so im having a problem in my 75 gal. mbuna tank with protein film (i guess). i feed pretty much the same foods and use the same kind of filtration (canisters) on both of my big tanks and this one is the only one i have a problem in. my question is can i build a pvc overflow to attach to my canister or is it going to be a problem because of the design of canisters (suction)?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Alternately

You could redirect the filter outflow to increase mixing at the surface so that it gets cycled more efficiently as opposing to collecting on the surface. Unsure how protein breakdown takes place in tanks but am certain that it does occur and that more O2 and running it through the filter will only help.

Not saying a skimmer isn't desirable, just that this has always struck me of more an aesthetic issue (for freshwater anyway - have no idea about marine) rather than a substantive one and that I'm partial to a "simplicity is king" approach, which means lighting, filtration and heating only as necessary. And water changes. And food. And plants, decor, artistic experession, and - well, you see/know how it is.

moka

Members
thanks for the input. i have been trying everything so far. moving air stones, moving output of canister with and without difuser, lower/higher water level with no results, my next move is going to be trying to build something similar to what andrew suggested or just buying one. thanks everyone

moka

Members
also this tank sits in my living room wall 4 ft of the floor so when youre sitting on the couch you can see the cloudy looking water on the surface in the spots where the output and air stones dont disturb the water, it is purely aesthetic i agree but just one of those things that bug you more and more every day

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Why not just get a power head? That fixed it for me in my 50 gallon. Even just a little cheap one would help.

I had the same problem in my planted tank. I tried a powerhead. It pushed the film into the corners where the film then built up against the plants that could reach the surface. In the end, I purchased the skimmer attachment for the fluval canisters. Problem solved.